ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1 - 04/23/24 02:17 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#53845 07/22/05 03:49 AM
John,
I took the sissy route and went with what I already know and like
John, I've seen people get in too far over thier heads.
I've seen fully grown men go up a 66kV pole and they are fine until they look downward and then just freeze right there, now that is the sissy route!. [Linked Image]
It costs us money getting them down.
Like yourself, mate, be with each team member you can trust to perform.
BTW, best of luck, mate!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-22-2005).]

#53846 07/25/05 11:58 AM
R
Simper Fi e57,
I was not in an engineering battalion, aviation instead, but the methodology is consistent throughout the Corp.
What I would suggest to anyone wanting to look for work in power distribution (line work) is that substation maintenance is not a bad gig. If you can find a substation maintenance contractor, Seimens has crews, to get on board with. And then you need to study your butt off, first on the safety and then distribution, relays and coordination. Prints come in several different flavors, distribution schemes, single line diagrams for the substation, relay schematics, and wiring diagrams for individual pieces of equipment.
It can be an interesting career, and if you are willing to travel a bit, it can take you to some interesting locations. Almost every piece of substation equipment needs some TLC abut every 5 years or so and qualified, safety conscious people to do the work are always in demand.
A few years back I was assigned for 2 yrs to the maint. dept for the power distribution system in a refinery. As with any maintenance crew there are slow times with just repetitive tasks but occasionally it gets very interesting. I once found a main breaker that the shorting bars on the CT’s for the 50/51 relay had not ever been removed since the day they were installed over 20 yrs before. After a bit of switching we were able to isolate the line side and then conduct a few tests before putting the main back in service. A lot of the grunt work in the dept. was subbed out to specialty contractors like Seimens and Sub Station Test a local contractor.
The grunt work isn’t too heavy; 600 lb. breakers are on rollers or have lifts to move them about. And cleaning or changing a couple of hundred gallons of oil on a large oil cooled Xfmr isn’t a dirty job.
But safety work is critical, before you begin work on a piece of equipment that is connected to a buss, you isolate the buss and then you apply safety grounds to the buss so you are working between grounds. Choosing the proper grounding cables for the buss and applying them correctly are critical steps in the safe work process.

#53847 07/25/05 08:20 PM
E
e57 Offline
Ooo Ra Ray...

Did AF lighting at MCAS Pen (the temps after the flood) for MWSS-372, and most of the distribution at the airport in Mogasdishu, we may have crossed paths. (MOS-1142 12-26-90 to 12-25-94)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard