ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#53582 06/30/05 08:23 PM
T
"I don't understand resi, I just do commerical"= no, I can't tell you specifically what you need to put in your breaker panel at your 1950's-vintage home so you can run your arcwelder (usually to steel guys who ask the eternal "what do I need to run an arc welder in my garage" question). Alternate response: "you really should call an electrician"

"our day starts at 6am"= answer to "you guys are leaving? its only 2:30"

I don't do sidework="no I don't want to come over and look at your panel to see if it can handle an arcwelder, no matter how good a cook your wife is..."

"alright if I borrow your lift for a while/in a little bit?"= answer to drywall guys asking for ANYTHING at all, but especially about maybe having temp power on any floor above the ground floor

Honorable mention: "the white wire is the neutral, the black wire is the hot"

#53583 06/30/05 09:06 PM
T
I need you to sharpen your pencil on this one....

Dave

#53584 06/30/05 09:56 PM
L
" go ahead and do it - I'll have the office fax the paperwork out to you , Trust Me " --> means " go ahead do it- I ain't gonna pay you for it and once it's done it's too late "

#53585 07/01/05 07:33 AM
F
"I want to add this on and I don't care what it costs." Translation- I'm not going to pay for it anyway.
Heard on countless church jobs:" You're not going to charge us for all those extras, are you? We're doing the Lord's work here." Standard reply: " I'm one of the Lord's sheep, feed me."

#53586 07/01/05 10:51 AM
Bill,
Here's a few for the record:

• Oh!!, so that's how you guys do it?!, I must tell my mates about that one, you Electricians are way over-paid for the work you do.
  • Let me see!!
  • Do you mind if I help?, will it make the bill cheaper?.
  • You must have installed that GFCI(RCD) there, I've never seen that before.
  • (In NZ only)Does the Lines Co pay for the third blown Pole fuse?
  • There's no need to be nasty like that, It's not my fault you found my Rat traps after I unplugged your light.
  • Hang on, I've got a torch here, just wait while I light it.

And a couple more:
  • So I can't put that flex through the wall into the next room, why not?, I don't like your advice young man!.
  • My nieghbour tells me ........
  • Just where did you serve your time young man?, do you even know what you're talking about??!.
  • Is there any way that you can get rid of that nasty meterbox? and the meters if possible.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-01-2005).]

#53587 07/01/05 03:49 PM
W
3) Electricity don't know the difference;

"Well, that's why we have to do things to code, so that that stupid electricity won't do something undesirable, like start a fire."....

#53588 07/02/05 03:39 PM
L
Heres one I hear every now and again

Oh , Your an Electrician ?
You must be rich !!

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 07-02-2005).]

#53589 07/02/05 07:56 PM
"Ha! It's not in the contract!" I can still see his smug face grinning like a Cheshire Cat. So, I was to pay for the foundations to be dug on his house-extension. Later, I found another omission: I'd also not quoted for fitting over 100 double-glazed units in the windows and doors-(he'd chosen a Georgian small-pane design). "Ah! I'm afraid it's not in the contract!" Job ground to a halt- you can't do second-fix in rainy Old England without glass. He had to accept my quote of £1200,(over $2200), or wait months for another chippie, (middle of a boom). Did the job in 2 days flat, with Denise cutting the beads like a maniac on the 'Nobex Champion' saw, and my boys Ed & Colin drilling the tiny pin holes so the brass sprags didn't split the timber. The irony is, when I went to pay Mr. Powles, the digger driver, he said; "Oi dursen't want a penny, Al-un." in his soft Gloucester-burr. A return of a good deed I'd long forgotten, done for him and his wife years earlier when he was out of work in a previous recession.
"HA! IT'S NOT IN THE CONTRACT!" became a catch phrase, (accompanied by peals of laughter), in our house for years after, as a response to any chore we didn't want to do- and our family spent 2 weeks in Bordeaux in a rented villa, as we frittered his money away in the sun!

Wood work but can't!
#53590 07/02/05 10:04 PM
S
It's better to be a mile too long than an inch too short, but not two miles...

#53591 07/03/05 06:55 AM
P
One of Trumpy's reminded me of this one:

Why can't you get a new wire to the ceiling box? Can't you just hook onto the old ones and pull it thru?

From customers or other trades on jobs:

How do you know where all those wires go?

My answer:

I don't. I'm just the guy who runs 'em. Someone else hooks 'em up.

When running MC cable I often hear(really!):

Must be hard to get the wires in that stuff later.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard