ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#53331 06/22/05 10:30 AM
A
Thanks iwire, I was thinking of 230.6 for conductors considered outside of a building.
300.5 on burial depth has all zeros for the required depth under buildings. I guess that isn't "exterior" enough for the inspector. Logically, (somtimes used by inspectors) that which is not inside the building must be outside, which coresponds with the definition of exterior, i.e outside.
Bottom line, the local inspector doesn't like nonmetallic conduit and will do whatever they have to to restrict its use.
Good Luck. Alan

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
#53332 06/22/05 02:44 PM
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Thanks for the replies.

Funny how this turns out. Yesterday, my fellow installer gets on the phone with a different inspector and explains the perameters of how this was all installed. He says he thinks it's fine, but he'll check with his boss and call him back. In the meantime his boss is in a meeting with the owner who is arguing about this same install and he is being told if it is under a roof, in is not exterior. At some point the inspector gets through, throws his job past him, and he says, its okay. Installer gets return call and says it's okay, they'll be out tomorrow AM to inpsect 18" depth. Owner gets back and says, we need to replace it. So this morning we are waiting for reinspect wondering what's going to happen. Owner calls inspector boss to see what time inspector will show up and is told we are fine, go ahead and pour. We all look at each other in bewilderment and then notice a pass sticker with yesterday's date was stuck to a column. He must have snuck in and out before we got there.

Tom, I really can't argue with most of what you say except, they weren't working with us, they were trying to save face for the first inspector's poor judgement. I think the exception was written wrong because I know the area. Everywhere around here they delete wiring methods to force you to use EMT. I don't think they considered this appliction when they said "exterior underground", but I can't claim to know their intent. I can only disagree.

oh yeah, saw this http://www.nbc5.com/money/4638758/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2275204&dppid=65192 on the news last night and chuckled to my self. Same inspection department.

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 06-22-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard