ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5264 11/12/01 03:13 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
Where would you find the code section that allows tapping 14awg pigtails to receptacles from a 12awg small appliance circuit scotchlock connector? I thought it was 210-19(d), but exception 1(c) seems to say I can't tap to a receptacle. opps [Linked Image]

#5265 11/12/01 04:07 PM
A
Cindy,

You're not finding it 'cuz it ain't there!

Taps aren't allowed in this situation.

Also--is it common practice in your area to use scotchlock connectors for receptacles? Are you talking about those insulation-displacement connectors (IDCs)? Whay are you ising them?

I'd only ever use those for fluorescent fixtures. When I've got a short wire in the back of a box, I use WAGO wall-nuts. The WAGOs are easier and in my opinion give a better connection (both mechanical and electrical).

Cliff

#5266 11/12/01 04:32 PM
M
Cindy;
No you can not use the tap rule in this situation. To minimize voltage drop, sometimes no.12 conductors are used for long 'homeruns' even tho the bc is rated only 15 amps.
210-3, which states where conductors of higher ampacity are used for any reason, the ampere rating or setting of the specified overcurrent device shall determine the circuit rating.
Pig-tails on receptacles less than that of the branch circuit must be capable of carring 20 amps because they are an extension of the branch circuit. See 210-24 is a summary of branch-circuit requirements.

Amp-man;
What are WAGO s ? and who makes them ?

#5267 11/12/01 06:52 PM
A
motor-T,

Go to "www.wago.com". The site has a button that takes you to a PDF brochure for the "wal-nut" connectors.

I saw 'em at ElectricWest last year in Anaheim and got a few. I was doubtful about the quality of the connection, but it's really pretty good. It's not cheesey like a back-stab device; on the wal-nut, there's a lot of wire-to-connector contact. And the thing really grabs the wire.

Now, I wouldn't use the WAGO for splicing in a a receptacle circuit except in a real pinch. But sometimes for old work where the conductor is cut off inside the box, they're a lifesaver.

If I'm doing commercial lighting circuits and my margin is real slim, I sometimes use 'em. No problems so far.

Ideal Industries makes a very similar product, but it's not designed for stranded conductors. The Idea product is easier to find, though. I just call them WAGOs, regardless of the source.

Cliff

#5268 11/12/01 08:08 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
He said I could do it, but didn't have a code reference. I think he's done this for about 30 years. Actually, I think it makes sense, like being able to use the 18awg luminaire taps from 14awg b/c's.
Scotchlocks? That's what I grew up calling them[my dad called them that], but I meant wirenut, wingnut, twister, wiretwists, you know the tan, red, yellow, blue, and orange screw on connectors.
Thanks, i should say i'm really very new to this so probably use the wrong words a lot [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Cindy (edited 11-12-2001).]

#5269 11/12/01 09:10 PM
R
Cindy,
This is not acceptable, but evidently, it is commonly done. The difference being that luminaires are a known, fixed load.n Receptacles aren't. This was discussed extensively in a previous topic. I looked, but couldn't find it.

Any help, Bill?

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 11-12-2001).]

#5270 11/12/01 09:14 PM
A
O.K., now I get it.

Like kleins for sidecuts, channels for arc-joint pliers, etc.

On the branch circuit tap approach appearing reasonable, it seems that a lot of Code requirements provide a wide margin of safety. On the other hand, what do you gain by using a 14 tap off of a 12 BC conductor? Mainly a little easier time of it tucking the device back into the box. If the box is so crowded that this is a real problem, maybe it's time to replace the box.

Cliff

#5271 11/12/01 09:29 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
your right cliff, its just a little easier, he was trying to ehlp me out by suggesting an easier way to make the receptacle connections. i think you and sparky and fred and dspark probably got frustrated trying to explain some basics to me last summer. electricity is interesting, but its very difficult for me to get a handle on all the rules and theories

#5272 11/12/01 09:30 PM
M
Cindy;
Why would you want to use a tap-conductor on a small appliance circuit?

#5273 11/12/01 11:13 PM
D
Around me, they tap 14's off 12's so they can back-stab the devices. Always sounded like a lot of work to get out of a little work, as well as being against NEC, but we've been down this road before. ( A BUNCH) [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard