ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52607 05/31/05 02:09 AM
A
We been using Juno. They are made in our area. The trims don't have a problem discoloring like some. I like how the inside socket adjustment is suported on both sides where the Halo is only 1 side. The remodel spring clips seem to have tension then the Halos.

Trouble is it seems like the workmanship has droped. Out of a case of trims many will have handeling defects (chips, scraches, & marks). The cans many wing nut screws are stripped out or cross threaded. A can may be missing a piece. The remodel bottoms may be bent. Inside the wires are sometimes pinched. These are not cheap cans to buy.

Tom

J
For a 6" recessed I like the Progress P87 or P187 remodel.

The trim attaches to the socket and the spring arms hold the trim to the ceiling. The spring arms are similar to a bath exhaust fan, not the cheesy thin wire springs. The trims can be lowered for painting without removing the bulb.

I have been getting these for about $8 for the housing and $7 or so for a step baffle trim.

S
I typically use Halo but I am looking for another manufacturer. Halo's quality has gone downhill (in my opinion) quick. The sliding bars are a PITA to get to slide. You wind up hammering on them with your Klein's.

The trim as of lately have been coming out of the box dirty. Sometimes they are missing springs.

The sockets inside the can all too often are not attached to the plate which requires me spending time to disassemble the can to fix it. I call their customer service to complain and was told I was the first person to have a complaint about their 'quality'.

M
Economy grade:
NORA lighting. Good choice of trims, all of them are individually bagged, and in a box for the 4", or a cardboard wrap for the 6". Quality of the can is decent, I find that if I keep all my purchases to just buying case qty (ie multiples of 6) then all of the cans I get are in good shape. If it's an open box, you get all the ones that have been lying around the warehouse getting beat up! Also, they have a local warehouse (industry, ca) so the rare trims are easy to get.

Price is no object grade:
IRiS (cooper)...these things are very nice. An infinite number of trim options, and all regress the bulb up deep for better looks. Granted, these are only useful on high-end projects, but if you ever have the chance to install them, you're in for a treat. Also, the 5" platform (can) takes many different types of bulbs that you can retrofit after installation- PAR, MR16, AR111, A19, H4, and Flourescent (including dimming). This will prove important here in CA where we have to put flourescent in due to Title 24, but the high end customer wants halogen. Can be retrofitted after inspections are made without much hassle. Not saying it's right, but most people want MR16's and don't care about the power bill so much. http://www.iris-lighting.com/common/index_Iris.cfm

mike

G
No matter what brand you use, the Trims are a RIP OFF!!!!!!!

S
We use Liteline brand pots. They work great for us. Not sure if Liteline is available in US?

E
Tom everything you said about Juno is the reason I just switched to Halo. Sure Halo is not the greatest either but Juno went right into the crapper for some reason. I have had evry problem you mentioned and then some on a regular basis. I can't deal with trouble shooting brand new lights and replacing dimmers when the power is turned on beacuse the wires are pinched under a rivet and they short out.

D
90% Progress 87/187 here too;agree trim $ absurd;Jim,what kind of quantity are you buying, those seem like good prices.If the Progress had captive nails like some others, they'd be better still.

F
My supplier dropped Juno last year and switched to Halo. I hate the Halos. Just installed 25 in a new house rough-in that were supplied by the GC. 20 of them were in pieces in the box. 16 were missing the nails and 5 were missing j-box covers. All of them had stuck hanger bars that fell off while trying to free them up. I used Thomas 6" IC cans on a church I roughed last month and they were great. They were also with in pennies of the Halo and juno cans. Given the choice, I'll use Thomas from now on until they go cheapie like everyone else.

L
Anything but Emerald!!!

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard