ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#52542 05/28/05 05:27 PM
The venerable BBC TV has a motorhead program called Top Gear, which does awful things to old vehicles, like firing cars off a quarry edge with a nitrogen ram, trying to hit caravans on the quarry floor 100 feet below, (sorry Paul!). They took an old Toyota Hi-Ace truck with a couple of hundred thousand miles on the odo, and hit it full on the side, hard as possible with a wrecking ball. It drove off. Then, they ran it with no oil or water till it ground to a halt. Refilled, off it went! So, they set it on fire. Once the cameras got their shot, the fire brigade put out the flames, and the mech drove it off, melted seats no glass and flat tires! Minor repairs, and they decided to REALLY finish it off, and put it on the top (5th floor)of a condemned multi-storey car park. The building was obliterated with explosives, and I can still see that old Toyota being driven out of the rubble, battered by unbeaten!
Alan

Wood work but can't!
#52543 05/28/05 06:58 PM
B
I've seen Toyota engines blow, head gaskets leak, crankshafts break. They aint bulletproof. I've seen Dodge engines run without oil as well as Fords. They all break, plain and simple. I buy American vehicles from American companies built here, VIN begins with 1 for America, 2 for Canada, 3 for Mexico and J for Japan, I think. I also drink domestic beer and don't shop at Walmart. There are some products such as electronics that we don't get a choice, there almost all made overseas. But for the products that we do have a choice concerning this issue, buy American before it's too late. Meaning from American companies. Personally I would hang my head in shame if I ever bought a foreign vehicle but I guess I'm just old school, people just don't care about that stuff anymore, it's a shame. I guess they only care when they realize their own job is gone and never coming back and their wondering what went wrong.

#52544 05/28/05 07:45 PM
D
Personally I don't care who makes what, or where it is made.

I look for the best stuff I can buy, regardsless if it is made in Somalia or Detroit.

We make just as much crap as anyone else.

I look at it like, I'll do business with whoever makes the best stuff.

Hey BIG CORPORATIONS, CAN YOU HEAR ME!

Dnk.......

#52545 05/28/05 11:18 PM
P
[img]http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=JALB4B16267005680&PopUpStatus=0[img]

[This message has been edited by plcnewbie (edited 05-28-2005).]

[This message has been edited by plcnewbie (edited 05-28-2005).]

#52546 05/28/05 11:24 PM
P
I tried to post a carfax of the vin of a Isuzu NPR. Idid not do it right it shows it made in Japan

#52547 05/29/05 09:58 AM
S
Man, some of the old timers are pretty clouded by patriotism.
The automobile market is a global market these days. Get used to it. It is a rare find to get a vehilcle with 100% American parts and assembly, if not impossible. I also say BAH to the "Profits going to Japan" philosophy. I'd rather have hundreds of Americans working in manufacturing with only the profits going back overseas.
Look at who owns whom and what. There is NO MORE big three anymore.

America is transitioning from a manufacturing economy to a service based economy. This is a sad fact for the gung ho "buy American" types. But it is a fact. There is less and less being made here any more. We do make some darn good pharmaceuticals & chemicals though.

We can blame this on schools and guidance counselors telling every kid that he HAS to get a degree and get a white collar job so he can make "real" money. Everyone is obsssed with getting RICH these days. Look at the line for the Lotto machine. Maybe I am the only one content being comfortable and happy. Blue collar work has a certain stigma attached to it these days.

How many of you can find decent help today?
I know in my area a good helper is worth his weight in copper! EVERYONE is looking for help and very few can find it. It's because most kids just got out of college and are too good to do lowly manual labor. He'll go to the mall and get a job in a record store for $7 an hour rather than do electrical work for $10-$12. Then after a few years maybe he'll get a real job, or maybe he'll realize the trades aren't so bad after all. "Hey, those guys can make some real money".

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 05-29-2005).]

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#52548 05/29/05 10:10 AM
I
Hey guys, can we get back to the question that was asked and forget about the rest?

I am considering an Isuzu NPR diesel for a work truck. .......Anyone know about these trucks or tried them?
Big B

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#52549 05/29/05 10:38 AM
S
Sorry. [Linked Image from countingcows.de]

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#52550 05/29/05 12:35 PM
I
Speedy my comment was not referring to you directly.

I just thought the subject of this thread had been lost.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#52551 05/29/05 01:19 PM
Cat Servant
I have NOT personally used these trucks.

I do know that Isuzu has made quite a name for their trucks outside of the US. The smaller Isuzu trucks I've had have been quite reliable, if somewhat under-powered. Handling was also excellent.

A more pressing issue might be servicing the truck....while my mechanic was happy to work on my Isuzu- he practically danced with joy when I got a GMC!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard