ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52508 05/27/05 09:58 PM
L
I'm trying to help out my sister in law who is doing a kitchen remodel in Southern California. Since I'm 3000 miles away it would be cost prohibitive for her to hire me!

She asked me for some suggestions regarding the lighting manufacturers I use and the placement of the lights. I use Lightolier recessed lights here in Mass. but I'm not sure if it is a regional thing. Is Lightolier sold in California? I've heard things regarding the energy codes in California so perhaps only certain manufacturers are allowed there? I also like Juno for recessed and Kichler for the xenon undercabinet lights. It sounds like the contractor isn't too thrilled with my input but I wasn't too thrilled with his lighting plan so I want to do what I can to help her.

Thanks

#52509 05/27/05 10:28 PM
E
I know you are trying to help but if someone three thousand miles away were telling you how to do your job wouldn't you find it a little bit annoying. By the way Lightolier stinks! Just my opinion. [Linked Image] My advice for her would be to go to a lighting showroom for their input. It is probably too hard for you to make recomendations without knowing what is available in her area.

#52510 05/27/05 11:45 PM
L
They don't even have an electrician yet, how am I trying to tell him how to do his job?? The GC scribbled 8 recessed lights in the most bizarre locations in the middle of the room. Since she asked me and she's the one shelling out the 75K I'll help. Or should I say "gee I'd really like to help but I don't want to annoy some guy I've never met".

#52511 05/28/05 03:10 AM
W
You mentioned in your post that the contractor wasn't to thrilled with your input you didn't state it was a general contractor and the way it sounds now is coming with a bid on the job sounds like no prints are drawn up and he is just getting a feel for the total cost of project. This is my suggedstion ask for a kitchen lay out printy and draw in what you feel is needed and a total break down of materials with the statement of being comprable within their codes. So the general can submit to elecectrical bids for the cost of this project. My opinion is to stay out of it if you put your 2 cents into it which you stated your not the one to pay this addition your sister is then if you make alot of change orders could be higher cost to your sister. Also you have iritated this general as you said in your post and any more input could have them pull off the job and your sister hanging in a dilema without occupancy permit and this general might spread the word out about this job to avoid, so she might have to hire the carpenters from the T.V. Show Green Acres and they will probably bring Arnold with them. And it also sounds that you have a good relationship now but what if you go to far with these contractors and they say more and more money because Brother 3000 miles away costed you?

William Runkle
#52512 05/28/05 07:38 AM
L
William,

Easy there fella! Back up a little.

The entire point of my original post was to ask if companies like Lightolier or Kischler are acceptable and/or available in California.

"This is my suggedstion ask for a kitchen lay out printy and draw in what you feel is needed and a total break down of materials with the statement of being comprable within their codes. So the general can submit to elecectrical bids for the cost of this project."

That is EXACTLY what I am doing now. I'm faxing it back with where I would put the lights and the manufacturers I would use. Then I'm DONE. I have no interest in getting involved any further! I have a business to run here which already is like juggling 16 balls at the same time.

She's a single mom aksing me for a suggestion just to get some feedback before she signs the contract.

Change orders? Green Acres? Arnold?

All I want to know is if you can use/get Lightoiler in California?

#52513 05/28/05 07:47 AM
E
So when you asked for opinions you really didn't want any? Sorry about that buddy. [Linked Image]

#52514 05/28/05 07:53 AM
D
I'm actually using some Lightoiler Fixtures on a tilt-up project I'm doing in SoCal.

Becareful with what you call out, California has made some major changes to residential title 24 issues that if I remember right go into effect in Augest. There was a post about this a while back.

Just make sure that you conform to it, so that your sister doesnt have to pay for redoing it when the inspector goes by the new rules.

#52515 05/28/05 09:43 AM
L
dmattox,

Thanks for the response. I had a feeling there may be some energy code issues in Ca. that may restrict the type of fixture (air seal etc.). I'll check on thet Title 24.

Thanks again

#52516 05/28/05 11:03 AM
D
I couldnt find the original post, but here is a link that shows you what the state now wants:
www.energy.ca.gov/title24/earlycompliance/index.html

Take a look at the presentation.

#52517 05/28/05 11:20 AM
Folks,
You can see the original thread by e57 here .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard