ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 275 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52322 05/25/05 01:00 PM
D
Good morning everyone. New member here. I am starting my apprenticeship next week and the training director told me to make sure that I have work boots with NO steel toes. I was just wondering why this might be? I have always worn steel toes when working around any construction. My boots currently have steel toes so I need to get a new pair. Does anyone have a recommendation for something comfortable and safe? Would a composite toe be good? No foot protection? Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful. Thank you!

#52323 05/25/05 03:13 PM
L
The steel-toed work shoe has been known to trap toes when flattened by too much weight. I guess the thought is that, if the weight is enough to crush a steel toe, you're going to lose toes anyway.

The crushing weight may be temporary, but steel toe cups do not "bounce back" open after a crush.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#52324 05/25/05 03:30 PM
Y
Thats a new one to me. Every job I;ve ever been on has Required Steel toed work boots to even get on site!!

#52325 05/25/05 05:20 PM
H
The crushing weight may be temporary, but steel toe cups do not "bounce back" open after a crush.

That may be true but a steel toe will protect your toes from lesser weights that would seriously injure them if non-safety shoes were worn.

As has been said, if the weight is enough to crush the cup your toes are dead meat anyway. [Linked Image]

Wonder what OSHA has to say about this?

-Hal

#52326 05/25/05 05:27 PM
G
Also new member. I have been reading this forum for some time. I have been on lots of jobs with steel toed boots and never ashed to leave. I have known some electricians that thought that the steel in the toe would ground them. I think that is just superstition. No reason that steel would conduct better than all that water your standing in ( the ditch or flooded basement.
As far a foot wear I would check with the old guys and see what they wear. Allways try to fit in. If the people training you like a certain type of tool, use it. Remember as the new apprintice, you job is to conform. Even if you see something that appears dumb do not point it out. Try to say around until you build time and gain experience. Lots of luck and work safe.

#52327 05/25/05 06:03 PM
T
tkb Offline
Red Wing make a boot with "Tech-Toe" that is a "Lightweight, nonmetallic toe cap that meets or exceeds ANSI safety standards. Does not trigger metal detectors".
http://www.redwingshoe.com/search-results.cfm?searchType=advanced&nt=Y&x=20&y=12

#52328 05/25/05 06:24 PM
Wecome to the Forum (new) gentlemen. This Safety Director may have reasons for dictating 'no steel toecaps', but they're not logical from a crush load or electrocution viewpoint. I see no reason to put yourself at risk in ANY matter, even if you are 'only' the apprentice- you're on the team, and that's that. tkb's suggestion of a non-metallic reinforced boot neatly gets you off the hook, short-term, but as growler says - see what the other older guys are wearing. Bear in mind too that safety boots can also protect the soles of your feet from sharp objects- your are 100 times more likely to put a foot on a nail at work, than have an Abrams tank drop on your foot. Good luck in your chosen career, by the way.
Alan

Wood work but can't!
#52329 05/25/05 09:13 PM
D
Thank you for all the helpful advice everyone. It's much appreciated. We have a couple days "orientation" at the IBEW training center before we get our job placement so I will be sure to ask then. Just wanted some input from the brain trust on this site. Thanks again.

#52330 05/26/05 09:37 AM
J
JBD Offline
The last time I bought "steel toes" I was amazed at the number of manufacturers that now offer footwear rated EH (electrical hazard) to comply with NFPA70E.

#52331 05/26/05 10:22 AM
H
Ok, what's the difference supposed to be?

-Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard