ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#52195 05/22/05 09:13 AM
R
I'm a Milwaukee user.
I have had the same problem as reno with the "close quarter drill" but it is not really designed for continually boring studs with paddle-type bits. Just occasionally in tight spots.
I use a "Hole Hawg" and I like it.

#52196 05/22/05 09:49 AM
S
I am a big fan and user of Makita tools. I have many Porter Cable and Milwaukee tools as well.
I just recently made one of the best purchases though.
Milwaukee SUPER HAWG! This thing is the best RA type drill I have ever used. It is quite big, but it is not much more to sling around than a typical RA drill. I know Makita makes a very similar one, but my main supply house is a Milwaukee dealer and I got a good deal.

I also have a very heavy duty and well made Porter Cable standard RA drill. Only problem wiht this one is in low speed it is too slow for smaller holes (+/- 1"). In high speed it has a hard time driving medium sized bits (>1") in harder wood.

I'll bet the Super Hawg will pay for itself in short order since it drills probably twice as fast as a typical RA drill with no bogging down at all.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#52197 05/22/05 09:50 AM
S
PS - Can a moderator use some alternative text to make that link above a realistic length?

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#52198 05/22/05 10:02 AM
S
seh Offline
Ian, Iv'e been using a Dewalt corded right angle drill now for 9 years now without a single problem-some new construction, lot's of remodel and, while it's starting to look a little rough, it's well worth the money spent on it.

#52199 05/22/05 11:47 AM
A
Milwaukee here. They have about 4 styles and some are available in different speeds. Some have a option to change the speed some don't.

Never tried the smallest one that fits in your palm.

The next size up is great for drillg up/down tight against the stud, is lighter, smaller, and good for work in finished walls. The speed is slower. The head can be rotated around which is nice. To change te speed if possable you have to take the head off (PITA). It will twist on you if it hits something but not too bad. The forward/reverse switch is too small.

Then the hole hog is biger, heavier, and faster. Dose not fit in tight places well but you still can drill a hole up/down close to a stud. I would not use it for much finished work. It will kick you. It seemed like the forward/reverse switch could be in a better place.

The best for roughing is the super hole hog. It's big & heavy but very fast. It makes the normal RA drill look like a toy. It is fast. Easy to change speeds and from forward to reverse. It is said to have a cluch to keep it from kicking back on low. I don't know because we don't use low much. I will say that the drill never kicked back on us once. One thing I hate is it will not get tight to the stud drilling up or down. If you drill the hole straight you will be about 1/2" off the stud.

WE use the super hole hog & the standard RA. Most our work is pipe so our holes are 1 1/8 - 1 1/4.
Tom

#52200 05/22/05 12:12 PM
Cat Servant
To be fair, I was speaking about the "weird thing that looks like a bird" and "fits in your palm."

I suppose that what irked me was the delay, attitudes, and mis-information that I received. And the excuses. Why, oh why, couldn't they just have said "Sorry" and replaced it right off? Instead I got the third degree as to purchase date (on the day after I'd bought it), lots of "our policy...", as well as "we didn't make it (even if it has our name on it)," "talkt to the dealer- rep- repair- cust svc- regional mgr (who's on vacation)- anyone but who you're speaking with right now!" And to let it languish for months in "repair"- they were a lot prompter in taking my money!

And, for the record, I did declare the intended use at the time of purchase- even bought the drill bits (ship augers) at the same time. Only after it broke did the tune change from "You'll be real happy" to "it's your fault- the drill isn't intended for that job." One might blame the salesman- but for the fact the salesman replaced the thing even though Milwaukee has yet to authorise the replacement.

Most discouraging of all is that everyone involved- including the folks at customer service- attributed my 'trail of tears' to the recent purchase of Milwaukee by the Chinese. Excuses everywhere!

I know Milwaukee has decades of making excellent tools behind it; their customers love them with an almost religious fervor. My recent expereince suggests their faith will be soon shaken.
I am not on a 'crusade' against Milwaukee- if Milwaukee is smart, they will hear my tale and learn from it.

#52201 05/22/05 01:00 PM
E
renosteinke, tell me a bit about that Harbor Freight, made in China, clone of the "hole hawg". Have you really had good luck with that thing?

#52202 05/22/05 06:48 PM
N
Have a milwalke RA drill and 3 Hole hawgs for over 5 years now. drill 3/4" to 3-1/2" holes all the time. Other than repairs for one of the hole hogs that was dropped 4 floors have not had any problems yet. Just have to make sure the drill operator is using it in the intended range. Smallest bits 1/2" to 1-1/4" fast any thing larger use slow speed. Keep the bits sharp and you can drill for 8-10 hours a day for months.

ed
#52203 05/22/05 09:23 PM
Cat Servant
Yes, Ian, I have had good luck with it....but so far it's main use is cutting large holes in enclosures. The only "down" side has been that the chuck key holder is useless- so I've attached the key with...well, you can guess who made the little rubber thing hanging from the cord :-).
For the price, I'm willing to take the chance.

#52204 05/24/05 05:56 PM
D
Anyone familiar w/ a D- handle drill w/a rocker switch for forward/reverse? I subbed for a guy a few years ago who loved it; I only used it a few days but I remember it was cool.Long bits backed out slick.Does Mitsubishi make tools? I think that's what it was.I remember he said it was pricey-but the good stuff always is.I think it was green.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard