ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Today a contractor questioned me about the location of a safety switch for a dish washing machine and a small baking oven (like Subway uses) in a new restaurant that I am inspecting.

The disconnect for the dishwasher would be (as per the plans) directly over a stainless steel sink used to rinse dishes and the disconnect for the oven would be over another small stainless sink and counter.

He knew that the disconnects should not be there, so he contacted me for guidance and an acceptable location.

Seeing that space was very limited in the areas in question, I brought out my 2005 code book and did some research.

I found that 422.31(B) was revised allowing the circuit breaker to act as the disconnecting means so long as a permantly installed lock-out device is installed on the circuit breaker.

I instructed him to eliminate the safety switches in both locations, install a cord and plug for the baking oven and install the lock-out hardware on both circuit breakers.

Do you all agree that this meets the requirements of the NEC?

D
I don't know, but what happened to the "line of sight" wording, did that leave sometime?

I don't have the 2005 code book, mind you.

And I assume the oven is removable, for the plug and cord attachment? I thought most were hardwired?

Dnk.......

M
422.31(B) Appliances Rated Over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1/8 HP. For Permanently connected appliances rated over 300VA or 1/8 HP, the branch circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance OR is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

And, yes the oven is not very heavy and is on wheels.

[This message has been edited by master66 (edited 05-13-2005).]

L
We have installed several ovens of the type you describe. In 4 of 5 we use the C/B as the disconnecting means even though it is NOT in the line of sight but IS cabable of being locked in the open position. We have never had an inspector question this. On the few where lock out is questionable or not an option, we install a disconnecting means within the line of sight, generally adjacent to or near the equipment.

H
Master 66,

I agree with your thinking and I too would accept a lockable breaker as the disconnecting means. We had this discussion before, I like the idea of a plug and cord for ranges. There are times when you can accept the unit ON/OFF switch ( per 422.34 ) as the disconnected means.

D
+1 for the D/C (CB or switch) being OK out of line-of-sight if LOTO capable.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 05-14-2005).]

M
Thanks for the replies guys.

This is the first time that I encountered this situation and was doubting my decision.

I'm glad that your replies seem to support the direction that I gave the electrical contractor.

S
I don't understand how 422.32 interplays with 422.31:

422.32 Disconnecting Means for Motor-Driven Appliance.
If a switch or circuit breaker serves as the disconnecting
means for a permanently connected motor-driven appliance
of more than 1⁄8 hp, it shall be located within sight
from the motor controller and shall comply with Part IX of
Article 430.

It appears that 422.31 giveth, and 422.32 taketh away, with the question of whether you can use a LOTO circuit breaker that's not in line-of-sight as the disconnection means.

Does anyone here have any insight into this apparent discrepency?

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 05-15-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard