ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 297 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
royta Offline OP
I have a customer who wants a couple lights installed in their china hutch. I'm thinking the ones that came preinstalled in my wife's china hutch would be just perfect. It has two 120V recessed incandescent fixtures with a push on/push off style click switch mounted in the hutch top. It has a single non-grounded plug. It takes 25 watt or smaller type R17 bulbs and the fixture is to be mounted only in open top cabinets. They put off just enough glow for the china cabinet, and do not get hot.

Do you know the type I am talking about, and where can I get them?

Thanks. Roy

R
Roy, I don't know if this is even close but you can look at the link below.
http://www1.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=185

Roger

R
royta Offline OP
They measure 2 7/8" deep & 3 1/8" (actual can, not clamp) diameter.

Besides the usual "caution" info, the UL sticker gives the following information:
E180142 JS-202 Listed Cabinet Light 25 watt or smaller R-17 style bulb.

I found some on eBay that look exactly like what I have, but they say it takes 40 watt bulb. Here is a picture of what they look like.

The catch is that I have to drill two 3 3/16" holes in the top of a built in curio cabinet. If the fixtures turn out to be junk, the customer has two nice holes up there.

Anyway, the clamp mounts to the top of the cabinet with three screws. The fixture slips into the clamp and is cinched down by the clamp. The switch mounts to the top of the cabinet also. The top of the fixture is vented, so I would think they would be far better than a surface mount puck style light.

Does anybody know who makes these, or where they can be purchased?

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 05-11-2005).]

D
Hi royta,

They're called Can Lights and are used in furniture and cabinet manufacturing. Any cabinet hardware wholesaler and most retailers will carry them.

[This message has been edited by DiverDan (edited 05-12-2005).]

Dolphins Software
S
These china cabinet lights that are installed at the "factory" in furniture don't have a grounding conductor.

So, I don't see how we can install them in the "field" as a code compliant installation?

shortcircuit

E
e57 Offline
Puck Lights?
http://www.expresslighting.com/minilights.html

Many of them are "listed assembelies"... Although they look nice, I ofeten worry about the amount of heat they produce. Only a few I have seen are listed for applications reccessed in wood, even still, make me worry. The LV ones, with lower wattage lamps, and more of them is a better way to go, IMO. Or Juno Track 12.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 05-12-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
Good Point e57, I forgot to mention that they do produce heat! Even if the heat is not high, it is accumulative so make sure that there is open ventilation at the top of the cabinet. As for grounding requirements, they are sold as an assembly and usually the lights and switch connect together via a small receptacle. I used to be the chief engineer with some of the largest furniture and cabinet manufactures in the USA, until manufacturing was outsourced, and have speced, and installed thousands of these can lights.

Dolphins Software
S
I have used these low voltage Seagull mini recessed lights in china hutches and in kitchen cabinets with glass fronts...
www.seagulllighting.com/Ambiance-Lighting-9409A15.htm

shortcircuit

E
e57 Offline
Only used 'em once, but fiber optic cabinet lights. If you like to spend money!

No heat, but radius of fiber limits it to deep sofit type use.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard