ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51498 04/30/05 10:10 PM
D
dmattox Offline OP
I've never bonded sprinkler pipes, never been shown on the plans nor has an inspector required it or asked about it. However, it seems to me that it should be by 250.104. Am I correct in thinking that the sprinker pipe should be bonded?

R
If it is likely to become energized, it would be required by 250.104(B).

I could see that a person could argue that this falls under 250.104(A), but I personally disagree.

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 04-30-2005).]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
L
I agree with Ryan, although (A) doesn't specifically say "domestic water piping system" and it does say "metal water piping system(s)".

I also like:
"The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that may energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means."

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
One thing that I would be thinking of, is where a difference in potential could cause a shock hazard.
One thing from the NZ Electrical Regs:
If a metallic part could become energised, it shall be bonded to Earth.
I think personally, that unless you can give real Segregation, between systems, they should be Bonded together.
Just my $0.02 worth. [Linked Image]

E
e57 Offline
Where I'm at most sprinkler system piping originates from over-sized domestic water feeds, which are part of the electrode system, so in that way are bonded. I have had to bond dry stand pipes though. And un-like some other areas, (Which I have discovered here on ECN) hot water and gas well at the origin of each source. I'm waiting for the day I have to bond the sewer too.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
H
Just my 2 cents, but if I see a domestic water pipe entering a building and a fire pipe, I guess that they are bonded together somewhere outside, but I am not sure that they are. So to make a positive bond, I would bond the 2 pipe sytems together again inside of the building where you can see it. Who knows maybe the domestic water could get turned off at the street and/or the connection of the 2 pipe sytems outside of the building might fail.

D
dmattox Offline OP
The projects I work on usually have hundreds of feet of piping for the sprinklers until they get to the source (running to the PIVs then to the DC). The cold water seems to always be ran in PVC until close to the building. Even if the cold water was ran in copper it would probably be a 500-1000' loop between the two (I am not even sure if they are served by the same source). But would that distance be considered properly bonded?

N
Around here the PIV for the sprinkler is just after where the main water service to the prorerty splits into the sprinkler water feed and the domestic water service. We also have a plumping copper ordinance for both services. PIV typically are near a property line so distanc varies from 10 to 200 feet from the building exterior. Because of the above, bonding of the sprinkler pipes is not needed. Since anyone working with the water service has to get inspections by both the water utility and the plumbing inspectors, we do not worry very much about some clown converting the water service to plastic. Have seen the water utility shut off the water for a couple of people who tried. Water stayed shut off untill licensed plumber fixed it.

ed

Link Copied to Clipboard