ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Our company is pulling in the service cable for a hotel. The city is requesting that we do it "live" as there is a "famous coffee/donut shop" being supplied by the same padmount transformer. We could use some advice here. We fully expect the city to provide all necessary PPE and safety equipment. The high side voltage is 25KV.
The city must be isolating the high side with a barrier of some sort right? What would they use? I just want a little background info before I meet with the city tomorrow morning.

R
The HV side of the pad mount transformer already has a barrier seperating it from the LV side and the HV door can remain closed. Whoever owns the transformer be it the city or a utility company the people who do the power work must be involved and can assist in the safety proceedures and equipment. All exposed live parts in the LV side should be covered with insulating blankets.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 04-28-2005).]

B
Even without seeing the setup, this sounds very scary. Imagine what could happen if the rope breaks or comes loose from the wire. It's bound to tear up any rubber blankets and come into contact with something hot.

With the available fault current at the transformer you should probably take the same precautions OSHA is requiring now when working in a hot panel (fire retardant clothing, face shield, moon suit, etc.

R
For the record, I agree with Bill.

Roger

R
For the record I disagree with the whole thing.

OSHA does not permit this at all, PPE or not. I think you should appear before the city council and inform them that they are requesting you to directly disobey an OSHA regulation.

Pulling into a live transformer sounds like a great way to get yourslef killed. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
F
here in this area we dont allow any pulling wire when the transformer is engerized and it is not safe.

i did talk to my freind he work for POCO and he say no freaking way [ i have to deleted cussing words here ] due the falut current. it will be mind bogging if you see that flashover it will do wonderfull damage
in that area and anyone who is standing by near transformer can get hit by flying deberies of moten metal, cables , plastic insluators , transformer oil [ of course ] etc etc.

i will suggest that talk to the city personalles to say this is not a safe way at all

to bring other cable to the transformer is best way is shut down or dengerized the transformer and pull new cables there and the same time can rent a generator for tempory power during that time peroid until it is done . c'est simple

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
If you can feed from the transformer end and have all hot lugs covered I don't see a problem with it.

On the other hand if you have to pull from the transformer I agree...no way.

M
This is a perfect time for a planned outage.
We do them all the time. Find a date & time that the other Customers are closed, & set it up to work de-energized.

G
"The city is requesting"

That means you can tell them no.

The power company sets the safety standards. I expect they will shut the power off when you need it off.

H
I got to reply to this, I can see where most would see this as a big no way, and the people that said this is a OSHA, you positive of that? I worked for the electric utility myself and at one time did also do the dist. work that your refering to a pad mount here. and someone mentioned that there is a barrier allready there (that is correct) and there most liky even 2 doors and the one with the primary behind it can remain closed. as for rules that the POCO would kill the pad mount to do the work I really doubt it, its done all the time hot (energized)... now the POCO I worked for would be doing all the work involed at the pad mount to a the meter, but in my area there is another utility that the EC pulls the conductor into the pad (with it energized)(and I have done this pulling into there pad mount's bye myself even as a EC) they do require that you show proof of insurance and your ELECTRIAN LICENSE before they give you the key/combination's to the pad mounts. and there is another city owned utility bye me that is allmost the same way no standards or rules at all. well had to give my 2 cents,,, but you did say PPE was being provided, so sounds like you should have what you need to get this done, there will be rubber blankets with big cloths pins type clamps, another way of putting it is Electric bussiness has got dangers, if the world didn't need electricians, you could grab anyone to do that....

[This message has been edited by highvoltageguy (edited 04-28-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard