ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
bot540 Offline OP
Does anyone know if emt is permitted outside in Chicago? I have to wire a pool and the run would be under a 3' deck with limited access. The install would conform with article 358.10.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
R
Yes it's allowed exposed outside with "rain tight" fittings.

R
I'm on my way to inspect a large gas station canopy lighting job. The contractor told me the new rain tight fittings (1/2" emt) cost him more than $3.00 each. Is that what their going for every where?

Well this price sounded so crazy, I just checked a supply house in the area.
All though they don't stock them ? ( guess nobodys asking for them )? I was told their about $0.40, sounds more reasonable.

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 04-28-2005).]

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 04-28-2005).]

Cat Servant
While EMT is legal, I would consider PVC in this application....chlorine is quite corossive. Just be sure to support it every four feet.

A
bot540 I did not know I'm right next to you in Wildwood.

Adding to what has been said it is never a bad idea to check the amendments where you are working.

Tom

R
PVC is usually not accepted exposed in Chicago.

18-27-347.2. Uses Permitted.
The use of listed rigid nonmetallic conduit and fittings shall be permitted under the following conditions:
FPN: Extreme cold may cause some nonmetallic conduits to become brittle and therefore more susceptible to damage from physical contact.
(a) Corrosive Influences. In locations subject to severe corrosive influences as covered in Section 18-27-300.6 and where subject to
chemicals for which the materials are specifically approved.
(b) Cinders. In cinder fill.
(c) Below a Slab on Grade. Rigid nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted when buried at least 24 in. (609 mm) below the floor slab.
All stub ups shall be galvanized rigid steel conduit or intermediate metal conduit.
(d) Underground Installations. For underground installations, see Sections 18-27-300.5 and 300.50.
18-27-347.3. Uses Not Permitted.
Rigid nonmetallic conduit shall not be used in the following locations:
(1) In any installation not permitted in Section 18-27-347.2;
(2) In hazardous (classified) locations, except as covered in Sections 18-27-514.8 Exception No.2 and 18-27-515.5 Exception;
(3) In Class I, Division 2 locations, except as permitted in Section 18-27-501.4(a), Exception;
(4) For the support of fixtures or other equipment;
(5) Where subject to physical damage unless identified for such use;
(6) Where subject to ambient temperatures in excess of 50oC (122oF) unless listed otherwise;
(7) For conductors whose insulation temperature limitations would exceed those for which the conduit is listed;
(8) In theaters and similar locations, or any other Place of Assembly.
18-27-347.4. Other Articles.
Installation of rigid nonmetallic conduit shall comply with the applicable provisions of Article 300. A separate equipment grounding
conductor shall be installed in the conduit, and shall comply with Article 250.
PART A. INSTALLATION

D
I got a price of about $4 each a while back.

Dave

Cat Servant
Yes, PVC can be problematic in Chicago. I suppose, if the conduit were outdoors, under a wood, raised deck (as for an above-ground pool), and had lots of air circulation. the inspector might object.
On the other hand, if this were an indoor pool, where even the stainless hardware "rusts" to the aluminum diving board....or down in the "steel making" neighborhoods, where the paint flakes off new cars in two years....even a Chicago inspector would see the wisdom.
Corrosion, I suppose, is the key issue. Maybe run EMT- and a ground wire just in case?

Link Copied to Clipboard