ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51181 04/23/05 05:58 PM
G
Has anyone ever installed a VANTAGE lighting control system before? I have a couple of questions for you, if so. You can email me directly if you prefer. My profile gives the address.

S
Just finished several Vantage panels about a month ago in a 'smart' home. We worked in conjunction with the home automation guys. We did the high voltage wiring and termination (lighting systems, main power, module installs) and they did all the necessary CAT5 control wiring and programming.

Ask away, if you think I may be of any help.

S
I installed a system several years ago and I continue to service it. I will help if I can....

G
Well I am doing a 4000 sq ft condo that will take 1 master and 2 slave panels allowing for 50 control points and 96 dimmable loads. This is all lighting by the way.
My project manager took the installer class rather than sending me and now I am confused about 1 particular issue. If I load calc.all the lighting and determine that all the lights could be served by 10 circuits, is it necessary to run 25 circuits (2 per dimming module plus one for the system) through the Vantage system? If so, why?

S
We were required on our blue print to run 2 ccts to each module although the ccts weren't fully loaded (the reasoning here was for future expansion, higher wattage light bulbs, different fixture in the future etc). As far as I could tell, there was no reason why you couldn't pick up several modules per feed assuming its not overloaded. I would use a separate cct to feed the system though.

S
If I recall correctly you can feed each dimming module with 4 circuits if you wish. I would at least install a raceway from the panel to the dimming module to allow for more circuits to be pulled to the module down the road if the need arises.

BTW, the system I installed had 5 Masters and around 10 Slaves. BIG house and this was a retrofit install. I had two weeks to get it down while the owners were on vacation. Like you, the owner of my shop took the install & programming class instead of me.

I really like the flexibility of the system. We integrated the Vantage system into his security and HVAC system. In the event of a fire alarm signal at the security panel the Vantage system would turn on most of the lighting inside and outside the house to allow for easier egress.

G
Thanks for your replies and help.Here's the real question I'm interested in. Will the vantage system work properly if it is not fed with 2 discrete circuits per dimming module? I can't seem to get a logical answer from anyone at my shop on this question. Maybe I'm asking wrong.
I know that the modules WILL ACCEPT up to 4 circuits per module, and I know that I need conduits for future expansion. I wouldn't do it any other way. But is it REQUIRED to run 25 circuits to the system ( see my original post) to make it work, when my load calc's show that 10 would be more than enough for the load? I don't mean required in the plans or spec's, there aren't any, this is design/build. I mean required by the vantage system itself.

[This message has been edited by Gregtaylor (edited 04-25-2005).]

S
How many dimming modules are you installing in each enclosure ?

And how many individual loads are you connecting to each dimming module ?

You are not required to install individual circuits to each module. You can feed several dimmming modules with one circuit if the circuit had sufficient ampacity. Also, you can power the master / slave with the same circuit you are using to power the dimming module BUT if that circuit gets overloaded and trips the circuit breaker then you lose the master / slave also. It's best to feed the master / slave with a separate circuit.

T
Greg, If you are using a SCR Dimming Module keep in mind that each module maximum wattage is 3840 @120v or 1920@ 120v per individual load. I have installed these before, and I run 2 20 amp homeruns to each module. Try not to max out the module, give yourself room and the homeowner the flexabilty to increase bulb wattages. I hope this helped you can e-mail if you have more questions.

Link Copied to Clipboard