ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
I am going on monday to Local 90 in wallingford, CT to try to enter the union. Any suggestions will be appreciated on what they will be looking for. Thanks.

H
find a contractor with a single daughter that is intrested in you or find a union offical that will adopt you.

J
A good supply of paperback books.
Everyone at the GM factories reads them on the job...

Clydesdale,

Look back on the list in the general area here and you should be able to spot some similar discussions. Here is a recent one:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005691.html

Bill

Bill
C
thanks, bill. man i can't stop laughing

H
"Dude it's been so long ago I forget."

H
you shouldn't have to beg them to take your DUES, just remember that

C
Don't waste your time with the union right now unless you really have your heart set on it and are willing to start over.

Chances are, they won't recognize any previous time, and if you haven't done any schooling yet, you will be starting with their school from scratch. My advice: Get your journeyman's license first, work a few years, then join the union.

I was accepted into 90 a few years ago but declined after they couldn't even guarantee that apprentices would be working. With hindsight, it was one of the smartest decisions I ever made because there have been hundreds of JW's and apprentices sitting on the bench in the past few years.

You may want to ask the local what big projects they are anticipating or are guaranteed to be doing before you jump into anything.

Peter D.

Peter
R
If you have a few years prior non-union experience, they'll take you in under organizing. Especially if you're working at the time of interview.

When they asked me why I wanted to be an electrician, I said-

"When I was young, I told my mom, I said Mom, When I grow up, I want to be an electrician. She said, Well you can't do both!"

[This message has been edited by redwyernut (edited 04-23-2005).]

"4 INCHES FROM YOUR CHEST, PYLE!!!, 4 INCHES!!"
C
Thanks Peter. yeah i was thinking similarly. I will be asking them about the projects. The reason I want to join is because I am sick and tired of working for people who yell at you to go faster. And then complain about the quality of the work, and to take time to do it neater. You can't win. Also, the education is free. I am willing to start over and learn how the union does things.
I am lucky enough to have worked on a guy's house who has 30+ years in the union and he is a walking code book.
I have worked for a couple of shops that hire guys who have been in the trade for over 10 years and have no license(read fine print: guys who have a lot of knowledge and are cheap). Take me for example. I have been in the trade for about 4 years. I only have 1.5 years of hours registered.I am currently responsible for the complete electrical systems in new construction residential projects for homes from $300k to $800K in New Haven county. I also beleive it or not have a couple of helpers. I am sick of company owners who look you in the eye and say that the paperwork is in to the state(for registration) and I call up and they don't have my paperwork.
I could go on.
I am currently employed and for that I am grateful. My boss pays my mortguage, feeds my family, ect. _BUT_! Alas...I am too good for him and his dirty tricks. None of his guys are registered. None of them have licenses. He gave me a truck and a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=cell%20phone" onmouseover="window.status='cell phone'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cell phone</a> thinking that would fog my eyes over and distract my attention from the only thing that matters...REGISTRATION. I will own my own company one day. The people that will be happy working for him are people who drink their paycheck away. The people who will be happy working for me will be my future competition. He inspires nothing. I despise him.
On a positive note I will be finding another job soon even if I don't make the union.

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 04-23-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard