ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Cinner Offline OP
I am looking for some help with wiring fire alarm systems. I am currently working on a 25 storey concrete high rise as a 3rd year apprentice and our fire alarm person has just left the company. For the present time I have been left to figure out how to continue the fire alarm sytem. Does anyone have any knowledge on Edwards Sytems and with their IDM, Siga MCC1, Siga MCC2 modules and their tone and page functions. I am currently pulling in my risers to each floor(to the idms) and want to confirm my sets of wires.

thanks,
cinner

Cat Servant
Technique is everything. If you were taught not to ues wire strippers, don't use them; one little nick, and you'll spend a week troubleshooting the fault!
There should be someone there to train you...different eqt has different ways to hook it up. Your apprentice program- probably as part of the last year- has a section on fire alarms, and probably has a sample board to practice on. Find it and use it.

S
Hrm...I thought only licensed and fully qualified journeymen were supposed to do fire alarms.

E
e57 Offline
I assume the guy before you was working from an engineered riser diagram. (for a 25 story building I hope so!) You should have no problems following the diagram, but operationally, and in terms of connection, they should all have instructions with them, which may, or may not be modified by who ever designed the system. If I were you, I'd get to know that person very well, hopefully it isn't the guy who's leaving.

Wiring diagrams like this will tell you typical connections: http://www.greateralarm.com/gain/gainpdfs/est/ESTSIGACC1-MCC1-CC2-MCC2SignalModulesDataSheet.pdf

Most of the companies who make this stuff offer training, But Edwards just got bought by GE, and thier sites are a scrambled egg right now.

I think the best advice here, that you can get, is to make sure you over-size the boxes and conduits. Ring out and lable all the wire well. As I hope your company isn't going to leave you alone to do this....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard