ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50865 04/13/05 09:37 PM
M
Y Start or Delta Run... Whats the difference?

I can make motor controls do about anything but when it comes to motor theory I'm a little lacking.

Could someone expliane the difference?

#50866 04/14/05 02:57 AM
Broom Pusher and
Wye Start results in a "Reduced Voltage" at the Stator Windings, and Delta Run results in full Voltage across each Stator Winding.

All the Motor's Winding Leads are brought out from the Motor, and connected to individual Contactors for Wye/Delta setup.

The 3Ø Motor Circuit is connected to the Motor via Mag Starter.

There was a detailed thread regarding this, but I can't remember when or where.
It was here at ECN, but it may have been in this area (General Discussion), or the Theory and Applications area, or even the NEC area!
May need to search them all.
If I find it, I will post a link.

Feel free to ask additional questions if needed.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#50867 04/14/05 06:06 AM
Wye (star) connections on a 3ph induction motor put the windings in series; to get from one phase to another, current passes through 2 or 3 windings, (dependant on the exact point on the cycle or phase)- which reduces the amps drawn; this is the reason for doing it on starting. An induction motor rpm is dependant only on the hz(cps) and the number of poles, (because the field of the stator revolves to match that of the generator in simple terms); less a certain amount of 'slip' by the rotor, usually reckoned at about 4% and which is essential for a pure induction motor to operate). An induction motor can draw up 6 times the amps pulled at full power, even if started unloaded, so a Y(STAR) start reduces the amps drawn and thus the size of the starter and wiring, and causes less of a shock to the mechanical parts of the driven machine too. Once up to speed, the motor is switched over,( by a special starter- these are usually automatic with a variable timer, but manual versions can be seen), to a Delta (ie coils wired directly across the supply) configuration for normal running. If left at the Y (star) wired configuration it can't develop its full potential HP. Hope this helps.
Alan

Wood work but can't!

Link Copied to Clipboard