ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Howdy! My names Brian, and I want to be the best electrician I can be! Nobody is perfect, and today I had to eat a piece of humble pie from my companies owner. The filling of todays humble pie I had, is in regards to staying on task. This is the second time the same supervisor has said that I nead to become better at staying on task. I use the writing things down technique, so as forgetfullness is not a part of this issue... But beyond that, I don't have any more information to help myself become a better employee. I would appreciate ANY and ALL ideas from everyone on this net. The second part of this, being some crust on the humble pie, is a lil gossip I suppose I have been grumbling about. That I know I can take care of. The basis of grumbling is that our company is under new ownership and some employees are super slacking... and getting away with it, and I don't see a long term future for this company besides lingering... though I really enjoy working with the ownership, management and the NON slackers within this company. I hope the best for them and me. Also, there is the fact that they kept me working all winter, and that I CAN NOT ignore. So I nead to address these concerns so as I can better myself and hopefully continue working my way to the top. I see these things as a piece of humble pie, and not a humble pie in the face. So! With these things in mind, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Brian, Sparkeee24

M
Don't pre-occupy yourself with the slackers they always weed themselves out in one way or another.
Know that you don't know it all, if you did this site would not get as much action as it does.

[This message has been edited by mkoloj (edited 04-12-2005).]

L
LK Offline
Working with slackers, can make your job more difficult at times, just keep yourself on track, and do the best you can.

D
Sparkee24,
As mentioned above, slackers are a way of life, they are everywhere.

Loyalty is one of the most important properties of an employee and an employer.
I'd take a loyal person over a better qualified person any day of the week. Keep that in mind.

However, this is the kicker. You have to be true to yourself, and go with gut instincts sometimes. If you think the boat is sinking, don't wait for someone to tell you when it is under water.

Grumbling, keep it to yourself, under your breath if you can. No-one likes a complainer. Everyone can complain, the best guys are the ones who offer solutions, not problems.

Eating pie, everyone does it. It is part of the learning curve. If you make a mistake, learn from it and move on. It is going to happen, just don't make it again.

In all, if you posted these questions, you are not a bad guy. It seems you want to help yourself. That in itself is commendable. Most guys spend their whole life complaining and get nowhere. At least you are trying to help make yourself better at what you do.

I'd hire you.

Dnk....

L
My boss often tells me what I told him the day before and swearers I said what he said the day before. I smile and wink at his wife or daughter who run the office and every one is happy. As long as the jobs get done right and I get payed I am a happy guy. It does not pay to piss off the owner over who said what. ( took me 20 yrs to learn ) Rod (I have quit better jobs than this for less when I was younger)

J
Sparkeee, when you say staying on task, do you have an example of what's happening? Are you geting distracted by other workers? Is it nonsense conversation and silliness? Or is it things are bothering you and that is where your mind is?

S
Howdy! Brian again. I really appreciate all the responses! I don't beleive the staying on task issue has anything to do with nonsense conversations and silliness. Probably more to do with things on my mind. I do know that I have a tendancy to instruct the green guys, and that, I know I can work on since I am not their ASSIGNED J-man. Also, when a more senior employee asks me to do tasks, I nead to be more assertive in doing my original assigned task, so as not to be too spread out over many things. I asked my supervisor to let me know anytime he thinks I'm not on task. It's interesting that this is being brought up at a seperate time from when it occurs. Anyway, yesterday was yesterday, and tommorrow will be tommorrow! Let tommorrow worry about itself [Linked Image]I've thought on it enough for the time being. Thanks folks! On a side note, I received 2 100%'s an 80% and an 89% on the last 4 quizes in my trade class, and every semester I have had an A on the final and overall in teh class. Maybee I'll post my paper on Branch Circuits someday [Linked Image] Brian

K
sparkeee24 listen up.... no such thing as loyalty when it comes down to it the owner or boss will get rid of you bottom line always prevails. Be loyal to yourself thats all, take my word for it you are expendable.

D
Kenny, too bad you feel that way, but it is not true.

Loyal people will always find ways to help each other out.

And if you truely feel that way, you have a long hard road ahead of you.

Dnk...

K
Dnk Your Quote However, this is the kicker. You have to be true to yourself, and go with gut instincts sometimes. If you think the boat is sinking, don't wait for someone to tell you when it is under water. Loyalty is in the family and friends you have. Business on the other hand is about bottom line, that's how the United States economy works. Your opinion and the truth are two different things. Yes I've had a long road it's called 25 years in the trade. Sparkeee24 FIND A NEW EMPLOYER and look out for yourself . Business is business, Just my opinion 25 years worth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard