ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
cgw Offline OP
I think I will just use one circuit and split it up. Actually my wife owns a gift shop (not the one we are talking about). She uses the circuit breakers to turn off receptacles which have things like lamps, and display lighting. 3 or 4 split receptacles on a circuit should be fine. I will make them 20A. I would want to have a different color switched wire just to keep it simple.

Z
Ummm, did you guys read the third paragraph?

S
To keep it simple, just use one single-pole breaker and switch one wire of a 12-3 cable. Then you will not overload the neutral.
Like this: breaker-black-switch-red then wire the outlets with a common Neutral and split the black and red on the top and bottom.

The switched outlet is on the bottom so the switched cord will not hang in front of the hot outlet which will then be easer to use, since the switched cord will most likely stay plugged in all of the time. (Whew! out of breath.)

B
Don't forget when you have two circuits on a single yoke you are required to use a two pole breaker so that you shut both circuits off at the same time. Don't think having circuits on the same phase would be legal NEC even with larger neutral.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard