ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50546 04/05/05 09:13 PM
S
If I backfeed a dwelling with a optional automatic stand-by power from a permanently installed outdoor generator set, do I need to hit a building disconnecting means before the automatic transfer equipment?

shortcircuit

#50547 04/06/05 05:49 AM
S
Also...

1)Are the conductors that back feed the building considered feeder conductors? (The system will incorporate a solidly connected grounded conductor)

2) Is it necessary to install audible and visual signal devices as mentioned in 702.7 with a permanently installed outdoor generator set?

shortcircuit

#50548 04/06/05 07:58 AM
R
Ron Offline
If the ATS will receive the service conductors before the house main disconnect, then the ATS must be service rated.
Whether you need to hit a disco with the gen conductors before the ATS depends on where the set mounted CB is. Also see 225.31
If the generator neutral will be solidly grounded, then be sure that your transfer switch also switches the neutral (3 pole) as the bonding of the neutral indicates a separately derived service and requires the extra transfer of the neutral.
Many ATS's have the indication required. The AHJ would have to say it was practical to install the annunciation, most don't.

Ron
#50549 04/06/05 08:13 AM
S
Ron...thanx for the input...

1) The Gen-Set is more than 50ft away from building and out of sight...

2)Are the conductors that backfeed the building classified as feeders?

3)The service conductors will hit the service disconnect before the ATS...is the ATS bonding allowed through the grounded conductor with this arrangement?

shortcircuit

#50550 04/06/05 08:30 AM
Y
Look at700.12(6) If out of sight I;d say you;d need one.

#50551 04/06/05 10:47 AM
R
I would like to make two points here first.

#1: This systems is not an Article 700 system.

#2: These conductors are not Article 225 circuits.

Now, for specific questions you asked:

You asked "If I backfeed a dwelling with a optional automatic stand-by power from a permanently installed outdoor generator set, do I need to hit a building disconnecting means before the automatic transfer equipment?" See Article 230.72. This allows you to have a remotely located disconnect (such as on the genset).

You asked "Is it necessary to install audible and visual signal devices as mentioned in 702.7 with a permanently installed outdoor generator set?" Your transfer switch should have these devices installed, so you probably won't have to worry about it.

You asked "The service conductors will hit the service disconnect before the ATS...is the ATS bonding allowed through the grounded conductor with this arrangement?" The answer would be no, since the service equipment would stop at the main disconeect. A seperate equipment grounding conductor would have to be run from the disco to the ATS, and all grounding electrode connections would be made in the disco. Another option would be to run both systems into the ATS, then to the disco, after the ATS. Then you would not have to run the EGC between the ATS & disco, as your grounded circuit conductor would suffice.

Ron was correct in his statement that the ATS needs to be service rated (if installed before the disco). His reference to Article 225 is incorrect, as this is a Article 230 issue. His statement about the switching of the neutral in the ATS is also incorrect, as this is not a seperately derived system (see definitions). The determining factor for a seperatly derived system is not that there is a solidly grounded conductor, but instead that there is NO interconnection.

Rick

#50552 04/06/05 08:40 PM
S
Thanx Rick...I think I got it...

So, with the grounding electrode system being within the building (metal water pipe), that is used for grounding the building service disconnecting means, and with the ATS having a solidly connected grounded conductor, I will not bond the grounded conductor of the outdoor generator set to its frame, and I will use the building grounding electrode as the electrode for the gen set...whew

I will also run a grounding conductor out to the gen set for grounding its frame...

Lastly, I also will place a sign at the grounding electrode identifying all soures of power...per 702.8(B)

Stallcups generator book is "in the mail" so I can understand this...

shortcircuit

#50553 04/06/05 09:03 PM
R
Ron Offline
If the generator neutral is solidly interconnected to a service supplied system neutral (not switching the neutral in the transfer switch), then it is not a separately derived source. Then you don't bond the n-g at the gen.
If on the other hand the n-g on the gen is bonded, you either unbind at the gen or switch the neutral in the transfer switch.
See 250.20(D) FPN 1

Ron
#50554 04/08/05 04:52 PM
R
Thanks for that referrence, Ron. I looked it up in my handbook, and guess what? There, in black & white as well as diagrams, was just this setup, looking at it two different ways !!!!

Remove the bonding jumper at the genset, and use a 3-pole ATS, and you don't have a seperately derived system. Removal of the jumper may void the manufacturer's warrenty. Check with them first.

If it is required to be there, then does this mean you have a seperately derived sytem? Actually, this has little do do with the classification.

It only depends on if the grounded conductor is switched in the ATS or not. 3-pole, not a SD sytem, if a 4-pole, is a SD system, and all rules applying to such must be followed.

Now I'm not sure what to do with the bonding jumper, if installed on the genset.

Thoughts?

Rick Miell

#50555 04/08/05 06:07 PM
R
Ron Offline
Rick,
I choose one, then make the other comply. If I believe that the gen will have a bond that I can't remove, then go with the switched neutral tran sw.
If the trans sw is existing and doesn't switch the neut., then I make sure I can remove the bond in the gen.

Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard