ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 525 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#50523 04/11/05 11:33 PM
P
Peter Offline OP
Actually, I do have a portable bandsawm a beautiful Harbor Freight, but for the limited number of cuts [5] I didn't feel it worth dragging out of my vehicle.
As for the sawzall, the problem is the blade is supported only at one end. If you turn it on, you will notice the tip flops around in a pie shape. OK for reducing 8' pieces to fit in a 6' dumpster but little else.
No since you guys have invested so much time on this, I will reward you with this true story--
I had a race with a guy named Christo. Not a deliberate race but we happened to each start to wire two parallel rows of eight drop in lights at the same time. I was just starting my number seven as he was finighing his number eight.
So I'm slow.
But wait.
All of my MC cables were not only connected but also SUPPORTED. His were not supported. Furthermore, he did not leave enough slack for his cables to be supported [batwings on safety wires].
~Peter

#50524 04/12/05 12:42 AM
E
e57 Offline
Before I head off to that other post... I dont speak 'Rushing' [Linked Image] Get it, 'rushing' HA, HA!

Its a good way to mess up a job, and take more time by doing it twice.

As for the band-saw... Break it out. Do you have a folding two wheeler. I do, half my tool box goes on it as I leave the truck and a 2' nylon strap hangs the band-saw on the handles of it. The handles dont make the most stable cutting platform, but work in a pinch. Cup of coffee is usually stuck to it as well.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#50525 04/12/05 04:45 AM
I
As for the sawzall, the problem is the blade is supported only at one end. If you turn it on, you will notice the tip flops around in a pie shape.

Your right that can happen. [Linked Image]

But all of us answering here are quite familiar with sawzal operation. [Linked Image]

Regardless of the flopping blade straight cuts can be produced with a sawzall. It's just a matter of practice and not having the 'it can't be done' attitude. [Linked Image]

A band saw is easer and quieter but I do not have a cordless one yet. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#50526 04/12/05 07:35 AM
F
The secret to a square cut on conduit with a sawzall is keeping a sharp blade in the tool and the shoe tight against the pipe through the entire cut. Like any other task in this trade it takes practice, practice, practice.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard