ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Glenn, it would be fine if Doug could get the POCO to do this, but this is not a difficult task

We do this all the time it is just the norm here.

Personally if it is not specked otherwise I would use Schd 80 PVC up the pole and at the meter with metallic 90's underground at both locations.

I would rig a pulley above the pole riser with a choker so all pulling and feeding can be from the ground.

Roger

D
DougW Offline OP
AHJ says 10' AG of RMC or IMC up the pole. Luckily, in the Rulebook, I only have to extend conductors 3' beyond a customer installed riser for PoCo hookup - if it was URD, I'd have to allow an extra 35' at the base of the pole. [Linked Image]

Still waiting for an answer from the PoCo - all the ilustrations show loose cable entering a pedestal base (duh) - with the AHJ wanting RMC at each end, maybe I'll be running a riser into an overhead style meter cabinet.

Hey... I just try to think of it as a learning experience! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-05-2005).]

N
We do this all the time on commercial properties. Here the POCO goes to the property line. It is then the EC to got to the building.
What we usually use is PVC schedule 40 in the trench and schedule 80 above the 90. If the run is <150' we use PVC 90s. We run the PVC up at least 8' up the pole and pull enough wire to go to the X formers. At the meter end we use a PVC expansion joint and run either sched 40 or 80 to the meter socket depending on pottential for damage inthe area. Sometimes if the potential for damage is high at either end we use RGS in place of the PVC above ground level. (have had too many corroded pipes in the ground to want metal in the ground)
It's not that bad of work and makes for an good looking job. Just make sure you charge enough.
A little extra wire in the meter socket does not hurt either.
Good luck

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 04-05-2005).]

ed
R
I require a ground wire pulled with the lateral, and then bonded to RMC on the pole.

How it's attached to the pole depends on how the poco wants the wire on the pole side.
If it's a service head then I allow a pipe clamp or exotheric weld. If it's covered with their plastic strip, a grounding bushing is ok.

D
DougW Offline OP
Just re-reading some of the posts.

Tom - Thanks for the equipment loan offer!

Was originally planning on #2 Cu, but after reviewing the Code, it looks like I can pull #4 Cu and be OK for a 100A service... of course, that's for a "dwelling unit", but I'll see what the AHJ says.

It's a 2 car detached garage with a gravel floor and almost no spare room inside. The biggest thing the current pastor is anticipating is maybe a 110 air compressor, and the door openers.

A
How about #3 wire. Single phase you could run 1 1/4". I looked today 1 1/4 RNC was $24 and $30 for 1 1/2.

Tom

D
Right you are, Roger. Thanks for the code lesson.

Dave

D
DougW Offline OP
I'll ask about #3, Tom. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for the input. It's not a difficult gig, just the same tasks in a little different format than what I've done previously.

Thanks again!

I
Russ

I require a ground wire pulled with the lateral, and then bonded to RMC on the pole.

Why would you (and can you?) require a 'ground wire' to be pulled when there is a grounded conductor already in the raceway?

To be effective this 'groundwire' would have to be sized based on Table 250.66.

Using the grounded conductor to bond the riser raceway would be the most effective method.

250.142 Use of Grounded Circuit Conductor for Grounding Equipment.
(A) Supply-Side Equipment. A grounded circuit conductor shall be permitted to ground non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment, raceways, and other enclosures at any of the following locations:

(1)On the supply side or within the enclosure of the ac service-disconnecting means

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard