ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50459 04/03/05 09:37 AM
T
tkb Offline OP
I am considering purchasing a cable puller.
I have used all of the greenlee pullers over the years.
I am looking at the Maxis 3000 puller.
Has anyone here used this, and what do you think?
Is it worth the money or should I get a greenlee?

#50460 04/03/05 07:21 PM
Cat Servant
I am also considering the Maxis pullers. That said, in my asking around, the following comments were made to me:

-"Greenlee had it....they wouldn't have dropped it without good reason (From Greenlee distributor)";

-"had it and burned out my hole-hawg (from two formers users)"; and,

-"Half the guys who buy them love them, the other half return them after one use (from Maxis distributor)".

My take is that it all depends on what you're pulling. If you're typically pulling branch circuits -up to #2, perhaps- the Maxis should do well. If you're installing 400KW gensets, and pulling 500MCM, you're probably going to be disappointed. The limiting factor seems to be the Hole-Hawg.

#50461 04/03/05 10:35 PM
T
I think reno's got it right.. It's not a heavy duty puller like some that greenlee make but for lighter/shorter stuff (like typical resi work) I think maxis pullers are ok. I've used Greenlee's and Maxis's and I do like the variety of positions the maxis can be configured for, but they do have their limits. As long as you keep its limitations in mind, I don't think they are that bad. We have a maxis and a big greenlee at my shop and for the smaller stuff we bring the maxis and for the long big pulls break out the greenlee. Having toted both, I admit I would much rather carry the maxis up 3 flights of stairs than our greenlee [Linked Image]. The quality is decent, although I have no idea about parts availability since ours hasn't broken yet, but that would be a consideration for me personally.. If I were buying one puller to fill all my needs, I would consider what it was I would be pulling, mainly. So long as it wasn't too much "big" stuff, I think a maxis would do just fine.

#50462 04/09/05 12:38 PM
T
tkb Offline OP
Thanks for the comments.

Having done more research, I think that the Maxis 3000 would be ok for pulls up to 2" and that a Greenlee Super Tugger for 2-1/2" and up.

For small pulls, Greenlee also has a Easy Tugger for 2000 lb pulls. The Maxis advertizes 4000 lbs. The Maxis seems to be more complete and can be set up easier that the Easy Tugger.

The puller that Greenlee used to have is now the Maxis 1000. I heard that Maxis developed this puller and Greenlee sold it. Now Maxis selles it directly and Greenlee doesn't. I don't think that Greenlee ever sold the 3000.

I agree, if you keep the Maxis limitations in mind it would be good for pulls up to 2".

#50463 04/09/05 10:45 PM
B
What does the maxis cost? I got the brochure and dvd, but no price. I saw in EC magazine somebody has a light duty(resi) puller that uses a standard fish tape with their power unit. I believe this also had a remote control so you could feed in your spools from the opposite end. I never got the info on this though. Anybody else see this on the market?

#50464 04/10/05 10:03 AM
Z

Link Copied to Clipboard