EarlyDean, Foertunately I have a few things going for me that other AHJs might not have.
To begin with, I get along well with the local utility. They are the ones that supplied me with the locations of the 30 amp., 2 wire, 120 V services. They will not remeter a 30 amp. sevice if the meter is pulled.
Many of the 60 amp. services have meter sockets that have deteriorated over the years, and the utility company will not remeter those. That means that the utility company is disconnecting the service, not me. It also means that electrical work must be done before it can be reconnected. That is where the licensed electrician and permit come in.
Replacing old outlets, whether 2 or 3 wire, with GFI outlets does not require a license or permit by local ordinace, i.e. exempted work, "replacing switches, receptacles and light fixtures."
Battery smoke detectors never have required an electrician. Some of the Amish have them in their houses and they don't even have electricity.
We also allow home owner wireing, but limit it to owner occupied, (can't stop them anyway,) and they are required to get a permit, and have inspections.
Because there were legal challenges to the arbitrary way previous inspectors granted H.O. permits, (the ordinance required the H.O. to satisfy the inspector that they were qualified,) I use a simple multiple choice test. It ask questions like what color wire goes to which color screw on an outlet. They can use references and one guy had his wife read him the questions because his reading skills were limited. If they fail they have to wait a week before taking it again. I prompt them to use a licensed electrician, some of whom will let a H.O. work with them doing the grunt work.
Do homes where you are at get wiring upgrades with out major remodeling or do they only get rewired when there is construction ? Twenty five years ago when I started there were over 200, 30 amp services. Now there are less than 20.
I have been challenged, but I have prevailed. I have to follow my conscience. If I knowingly had to allow service connection to an installation I considered unsafe, I would document who made me do it, or quit. No mayor has overridden me yet, but I do have one service release signed by the State Building Commissioner. Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Nadon (edited 04-05-2005).]

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.