ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#50323 03/30/05 09:43 PM
Z
Appauling, however not entirely unplausible. They may have asked the electrician if he had advised her in some fashion that was unthreatening to him, and he answered honestly with no idea that he was liable to take the fall.

I think common sense in this country isn't the only thing being lost, personal responsibility is being left by the side of the road by lawyers seeking new summer homes in the Hamptons.

#50324 03/30/05 11:12 PM
as a dopey idea like charging you a toll to drive into the City of Boston
Well, ... I heard it is the Home of the World Champs .... (someone even had that on their signature)

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#50325 03/31/05 07:28 AM
S
We call those "Stella" rulings. Named after the woman who sued McDonalds when she spilled the hot coffee on herself.
And Dnkldorf ... that's tacky; but I agree. I would swear I did brief her, who's gonna argue?

#50326 03/31/05 01:33 PM
D
Well, surely he included the accompanying documentation from the smoke detector packaging, right? Just like any of us would from a newly installed GFCI receptacle, or a ceiling fan, or any appliance...

I'm sure there are instructions about what to do if the detectors sound in that literature.

He provided the documentation - it's not his fault she chose not to read it.

#50327 03/31/05 02:10 PM
D
Tacky you say....
This would be tacky.....

If you crossed a busy street and got hit, are you going to blame the automakers, for not "briefing" you on the physics of matter colliding with human flesh?

As unfortunuate as her death was, if it really happened, I would write that and some others off, as mother natures way of "natural selection".

Dnk......

#50328 03/31/05 04:54 PM
G
Judging from the response I have touched a nerve.

Let me contact the speaker from the class and see if he has some backup information.

I know it is kind of hard to believe and all of the guys in the class thought the same way..........Let me get back to you!

#50329 03/31/05 05:02 PM
D
You didn't touch any nerves.
We are having fun with it......

Dnk......

#50330 03/31/05 05:03 PM
Do you have TV ads in the US by law firms touting business from 'victims' to sue for trivial injuries? All the below won their cases and got substantial settlements.
The UK best has to be the guy who exclaims to camera-
"I was carrying a bucket of hot tar,when I tripped over a piece of wood that shouldn't have been there!"
My response- Whassat piece of wood doing on a CONSTRUCTION SITE!!! Look out for that tar, Joe, it's kinda HOT!!!
Other favorites-
Moron, prostrated on top of a fallen ladder on concrete, utters the immortal line "They gave me the wrong sort of ladder!" He was shown seconds earlier attempting to drill a hole 15 feet up a concrete wall on the most rickity wooden ladder you've ever seen- the producer must have borrowed it from the Science Museum Stonhenge Diorama.
My response. You down there! No hard hat!
You're fired!
A huge and hauntingly ugly young woman slips on a wet floor in foyer of office block. After her legs go off in different directions, she goes down like a beached whale. From her purse bursts forth literally dozens of (redundant!) face creams, deodorants, lipsticks, mascaras, foundations perfumes etc. "After my operation" she burbles, "I got £*000 compensation from my employer."
My response. Don't you mean EX-employer?
Any US favorites?

Wood work but can't!
#50331 03/31/05 09:03 PM
J
I was told the exact same thing in my last code reveiw which was the last available as well. I was in Woburn Electrical with Bob M and he had a guy come in for a few of the nights. The story was told to me that the electrician didn't offer any instruction with the install, as in the alarm goes of leave the house and call from a cell or a neighbors phone, and he testified to this that he didn't give any detail on what to do in the event of an alarm.
Since that class I tell all customers the leave the home and call the fire dept no exceptions.
Kind of stupid if you ask me as I can remember Daffy Duck doing comercials about what to do when the alarm goes off or you smell smoke. Check doors for heat, don't hide under the bed or in the closet, escape routes and a meeting spot.
Nothing has changed as far as responsability I guess, no one wants it.

#50332 04/03/05 03:59 PM
T
About a year or so ago I stopped offering smoke detectors as part of my roughing package, informing my customers that they would be better served for life safety by hiring a fire/security company to install and pay them for monthly monitoring. I explained to them the benifit of this. Lost 1 job because of it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard