ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#50270 03/31/05 11:30 PM
H
I have been on Union apprentice interview committees. If you want to fail answer the question "Why do you to be an electrican?"
1. I want to make alot of money and I heard electrican make alot of money?
2. I don't know.
3. Because my dad is!!!!!!!!
4.I failed college.
5. I have peaked at McD's and need something else.
6. I heard they have a good pension.
7. Anything with the word DUDE!!!!AHHHHHHH

Passing answers.
1. I believe this field will challege me.

Also I always tried to see how the applicant pulled into the parking lot and how they would leave. If he/she drives like an idiot they are an idiot.
Best of luck.

#50271 03/31/05 11:40 PM
C
LMAO ...
"7. Anything with the word DUDE!!!!AHHHHHHH"

I remember my interview..it was at 9 AM..so me and a dozen guys are there...at 10 AM, it's my turn...I enter and say "Good Morning, gentleman" - they smile and get on with business...when we finish (at like 10:30AM)..I exit, but not before saying "Good Afternoon"...LOL.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#50272 04/03/05 12:21 PM
duluth
How did your interview go?
Alan

Wood work but can't!
#50273 04/18/05 09:59 AM
D
duluth Offline OP
Well, the interview was surprisingly painless! I was actually amazed by how friendly the guys interviewing people were. Then again, let's think positive, maybe they just really liked me. As far as the outcome, I'm not going to hold my breath. Cautiously optimistic is the phrase. They send out scores immediately afterward, and I was informed informally that if you get in the 90s or even in the high 80s your chances of getting in are pretty good. They do all the interviews and send scores out and then in May at the union board meeting they decide how many to take and start calling people based on the highest scores first. The only problem is they don't tell everyone essentially where you are on the list. Like if you would technically be number 45 on a list of 30. But I digress, my score was 86.5, just high enough to leave room for a little hope, but not likely. They said during the interview the only down they saw on my application was lack of experience, and I knew going in there that was my main drawback. So now my main problem is who around here is going to hire me if I don'tget in? Whether to add to my experience for next year or as a career. I'm going to be a little stir crazy until the end of May or so until I know for sure. Thanks for all the help, DUDES!

#50274 04/18/05 05:42 PM
Well done, keep striving!
Perseverance is always the main prerequisite for any achievement; the worlds' gutters are full of geniuses who gave up.

Now, am I missing something, or just dumb-
Apprenticeship : Experience.
You do one to get the other, under guidance from those with the "knowledge", surely?
Alan

Wood work but can't!
#50275 04/18/05 10:30 PM
C

You'll do all right...I hope [Linked Image]..at least your not as dumb as a box of rocks or have the attention span of a tomato..LOL

I won't divulge my score - mostly because I've forgotten what it was. I do remember during the aptitude test (maybe some other test?) - where you move pegs from side to the other, testing dexterity? - after completing the test a few times, one of the proctors comes over to me (and in a very, very quite voice) says: "You know, your speed is supposed to INCREASE with reptition - but at least your consistant" LOL...It was funny watching some of the tomato's pegs roll off the "board" and them go chase them down, wasting time.

I also recall this other test - I have long since forgotten the names (maybe this was the aptitude test???)...the proctor announces (basically) "...here's the test, you have 30 minutes to complete as much as you can.." Then the bell rings...I answer first few questions quickly, next one involves a moment of thought - skip it; a few more easy ones, a "thinker" - skip it...and so on. A "person" (maybe a tomato) gets the proctor over and says " Can you skip questions?"...he replies " Answer as many as you can in the allotted time!" The tomato says (gesturing at me)" Well, he's..." , proctor cuts the tomato off and says " ANSWER AS MANY AS YOU CAN IN THE ALLOTTED TIME!". the tomamto persists;"..but HE'S..." Now the proctor can only say it again...and LOUDER still. I never saw the tomato after that test. The test is not designed to be "completed", they want as many right answers in the time given - skip questions, start at the back of the book, whatever. Just don't waste time asking questions that have already been answered and don't waste time trying to "think" what you don't know ~ kind of like taking the licensing test...you can always "go back" if time allows.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#50276 04/18/05 10:32 PM
C
....forgot to say

"Good luck, DUDE"

LMAO

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#50277 05/17/05 10:31 AM
D
duluth Offline OP
I found out "unofficially" that I didn't make the apprenticeship this year. Oh well. Once again thanks for all the help and I hope the other hopefuls I've seen posting had better luck than I did. It's back to school then in the fall, which will be a good thing. So at this point this makes me a 'wannabe', but I liked the idea of posting my picture so I think I will anyway. Hope noone minds [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard