ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5020 10/27/01 07:19 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Being of an electronics background (I think the proper term is "Mad scientist"), I've somuetimes been asked to install TV distribution systems, alarm systems, telephone etc.

Just wondering if any of you also get involved with this sort of work as well.

#5021 10/27/01 07:36 PM
S
Sure we do Paul,
why should the cable guy have all the fun?
check out the goods; http://www.leviton.com/lin/pdf/productcat/cablingdistribution.pdf
these days the old 'daisychain' methods have given way to exclusive home runs ending in these distrubution centers.
I even have a phone set & tracer that can hang off my toolbelt [Linked Image] , look just like a ph-co wannabe!

#5022 10/28/01 07:34 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Yep, central TV distribution amps. are becoming more common here as more people want their satellite/VCR/DVD outputs available all round the house. We've yet to see many of the big "home theatre" setups that are becoming more popular in the States though. For most folk the cost of these monsters at U.K. prices is just way too much, plus the fact that basements for conversion are rare here.

Telephones are one aspect of electronics & communications I find fascinating, especially the older developments & equipment. My first job on leaving school was actually with British Telecom at a satellite station handling overseas TV/telephone/telex.

Anyone interested in this sort of thing might like to have a look here:
http://www.light-straw.co.uk/ate

(Includes one section on power for exchanges.)

#5023 11/02/01 12:54 PM
J
If you are installing a CATV distribution forget the AMP. Try a 1x8 13db splitter and equip all unused legs with 75 ohm terminators. The signal from every cable company I have ever dealt with is to HOT. Amps generly last 18 to 36 months.

#5024 11/02/01 03:27 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Hello JB,

Do you have any specific levels for typical cable signals? Are cable levels regulated by the FCC in any way? Just curious.

Cable TV has been much slower to catch on in Britain than in America. It's only just started to become available in large towns in the last few years, so few people have it yet. Out here in the sticks it's not an option.

For distribution of regular broadcast TV we can get away with passive splitters in strong signal areas, but all our transmissions are now UHF, so a 5 or 6-way split at 40 miles plus really starts to show the noise without an amp.

Link Copied to Clipboard