ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#50171 03/24/05 03:29 PM
D
derater Offline OP
You can imagine the shock when I realized that the van simply wasn't there.I'd been working in a row house 50' from it and never heard a thing.Was done, walked out with an armful of stuff to put away and no van.Had a 4' ladder 18v driver and tool pouch with me, the rest is GONE.The keys were on the floor.
So everyone,watch your stuff, it can happen in a heartbeat.(fighting urge to kill something;here kitty!!!!)

#50172 03/24/05 05:13 PM
C
Way back when I was just an "employee", another employee and I returned to the shop. After setting the contractors truck up for the next day (inside garage), we left and went to our prospective vehicles....only thing, my partner's was MIA. Called police and did the routine.
A few weeks later a state trooper is waiting for us when we return. Seems the theives had stolen my partners truck (complete with power tools and ladders, etc) and we were working as contractors on some project somewhere!
Long story short, the culprits must have seen the cops waiting in the vicinity of their (stolen) truck at the jobsite and never returned to get it. The trooper asked my partner for the list of items he put on his report and checked them against the list of items "recovered" from his truck - some of his tools were there, some were not; BUT there were also tools and such that weren't his...the trooper just shook his head as he "added" the "new" tools to the original report list.
How insane were these theives?

I hope they find your van (in good condition) with some extra "goodies" for you.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#50173 03/24/05 06:05 PM
D
Sorry to here that derater.
Although, I'll admit, I was giggling when I read that. I pictured your face, with an armload of stuff.

Sorry, for finding humor in it, that does suck.

Maybe we can start a "find a new van for derater" fund?

What city you in?

My buddie was doing work in Philly one day and walked out to his van. He sees this kid breaking into to it and decides to chase him to get his stuff back.
Bad move, the kids friends were waiting for that and when he started running after the original chump, the rest of them cleaned out his whole van.
He laughs about it now, but if he had a gun on him then, he'd probably would of opened up on them.

#50174 03/24/05 08:42 PM
E
e57 Offline
I feel your pain! I have been there before. But, "The keys were on the floor." That says "steal me" in neon!

If you get it back think about one of these handy GPS locators. I think everyone shold have one!
http://www.earthtrak.com/et_realtime_tracking.htm

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#50175 03/25/05 12:13 AM
B
Ripoffs are common here in Arizona. I use a steering wheel club EVERYTIME I park ANYWHERE. Also an alarm and ignition kill. It seems like a PITA but I think of the setback it would cost me to lose my well stocked truck.

#50176 03/25/05 01:40 PM
D
On busy sites, it was common for my foreman and I to leave our keys in out trucks - especially if they were parked in a place where they'd need to be moved for a delivery.

When working by ourselves? We'd keep the keys.

Sorry to hear about your loss - and especially the resulting long walk home! [Linked Image]

#50177 03/27/05 05:41 PM
C
Sorry about your loss, but I have to ask:

Why would you or anyone in this day and age feel it is safe to leave a vehicle unlocked, let alone with keys in it?

I don't care where anyone live, theft can happen anywhere.

Call me jaded, but we don't live in a safe world anymore. [Linked Image]

Peter

Peter
#50178 03/27/05 06:06 PM
F
I tend to find these a good deterent to theiving little bar stewards...

[Linked Image from ae3.org.uk]

#50179 03/28/05 03:31 AM
E
e57 Offline
Ya need some thing a bit bigger to hit 'em from 30 miles away, in an undisclosed location, as they strip your truck down.

Might need a 8 digit grid and air support.

[RANGEVOICE]"Call four fire! Call four fire! This is Echo Tree Hector - Mark - (White GMC Savana) 3482-5103 - I see your Mark - Adjust for Slpash and Fire four FULL EFFECT!!"[/RANGEVOICE]"

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 03-28-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#50180 04/07/05 12:55 PM
D
derater Offline OP
Ive been trying to respond for 2 weeks-right after the original post my computer fried;Cops caught some guy 'sleeping' in the van a little more than 12 hrs. after he took it; he said he found it where they caught him-lucky him it a case of beer with his name on it!!Guess he sold the ladders, gennie, digital camera and 1/2 " Dewalt,but most everything else was there.The van is totaled, no great loss, an old Chevy headed for pasture,but the best part is I'm not covered!! I have a wheel gun,but I don't know about killing someone for 'stuff';wounding maybe.....I like the GPS idea; how much?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard