ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
This thread refers to one of my pet peeves.

As the Electrician, YOU are the expert...not the engineer, not the architect, not the inspector. Your job, and responsibility, goes way beyond twisting wire nuts.
The engineer likely never even heard of the NEC untill after graduation. None of his coursework made him familiar in the least with trade practices and materials.
The architect is more concerned with the starving feral cats in Moronia, and drewing pretty pictures, than in designing something that works, or makes sense.
The planning department is focused entirely on counting receptacles, collecting fees, and coffee break.
The inspector may have no training beyond a nine-month course in reading a code book.

Let's face reality. Things often look different in person than they do on paper.
If you slavishly follow the approved plans, and the inspector, on final, discovers that something doesn't meet code- guess what? You get to do it over.
If something doesn't work, guess who gets to fix it?

Entire buildings have had to be moved, or demolished, because neither the designer nor the planning dept noticed that the structure infringed upon setback requirements....but the final inspector did!

This is another reason you need to kmow more than just "your" code and trade, and you need to watch the other trades as well. The phone/data guy puts his box within your transformers' working space- get it fixed now!

At some point, you will have to draw the line, stop work, and leave the job. That's what makes you a professional- not just another drone. Or, you will have to tell the customer "I don't do that."

S
The engineer likely never even heard of the NEC untill after graduation.
To be fair, neither did most electricians before starting work, either [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard