ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DougW Offline OP
I found this site that has Class 0 kits (gloves, protectors & bag) for $90.
http://www.corvib-int.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_30&products_id=167

Just looking at a set for service work. Don't think I'd need anything higher than Class 1 on a practical level... although if I got a free set of Class 3's I wouldn't complain [Linked Image]

Anybody else know of a place to find some at a reasonable price (other than Ebay)?

Thanks,

Doug

G
AB Chance sells all sorts of materials such as gloves, sleeves, etc.

Halls in PA is also a fine source.

H
Doug what kind of voltage you plan on using them gloves on? them on that link you posted just refered to as low voltage gloves. all you really need for most voltages below 480 is good clean pair of leather gloves $5-$10 plus them ones in the link the rubber goes bad in time, but if they make you fill safe go for it, I did wear LV gloves on 277 stuff when I was a apprentice, you ever seen 345,000 volts barehanded??

D
DougW Offline OP
Saw the Discovery Channel on high-voltage linemen a few months ago.

Gives you a whole new attitude about what constitutes really high voltage!

I know how to safely barehand, but I've noticed I can work a little faster (perhaps more relaxed) with PPE.

Of course, having a non rotten ladder to work off of helps too! [Linked Image]

R
highvoltageguy,
all you really need for most voltages below 480 is good clean pair of leather gloves
OSHA and 70E require voltage rated gloves for all work on energized equipment above 50 volts. Class OO gloves are suitable for use up to 500V. One of the problems with all of the voltage rated gloves is that they must be tested every 6 months by a testing lab.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
H
One of the problems with all of the voltage rated gloves is that they must be tested every 6 months by a testing lab.
Exactly and is a one man or small shop going to bother sending off a little pair of gloves to be tested and wait for the turn around? I'm well aware of the OSHA, it's just that I been there and done this, and unless you work on alot of 480 I couldn't justify them kind of gloves, but you need do to what makes you fill safe.

C
After seeing friends go to the burn center, I feel $89.95 for a set of gloves is cheap money. Even if you throw them out and buy new ones ever six months. The fines from OSHA and the lost wages will be a lot more money. How about pain and suffering, what is that worth?

Sorry for the rant. After seeing the results of electrical burns, I would encourage everyone to use proper PPE. Even at low voltages(480 & under).

Al

E
What PPE if any do you use above 277 Volts.

I just started working with 277-480 Volt system and would like to know what PPE i should have or wear when working around 277-480 volt?

I already had a singlephase system blow up on my face once i certainly do not need that again especially 480.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
R
Ed,
Someone has to calculate the incident energy to be able to select the correct PPE. It could be anything from voltage rated gloves and tools along with long sleve clothing with a 4 cal rating to the voltage rated tools and gloves with a full "space suit". I would expect that in many cases a 480 volt system would require a minimum of 8 cal rated clothing, cotton underwear, voltage rated tools and gloves and a flash hood. Note that these rules apply to all work on energized equipment including voltage and other types of testing.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
H
Edward
I have worked on several voltages as high as 345KV working for a Electric Utility.
for 277/480 I have exsperienced a few flashes on 480 it can be the biggest burner. you should at least wear 100% cotton and good gloves and if avalible do wear these low voltage gloves that this thread is about, and would be a good habbit to just never buy anything but cotton again for working. several years ago I was standing behind a guy in power plant scrubber (nasty damm things) working in a little 480 dissconnect and the meter touched the side of the housing and the flash melted the guy in front of me shirt and burnt his eye brows off, good thing he was wearing personal glasses (him a Journyman at time myself Apprentice)and from that day on I never wore anything but cotton at work or even at home. Now this same man about 6 years ago was burnt very bad on some 4160 and ended up looking like Freddy Krugger, just burnt very bad spent several months in a burn unit and about a year off work, and he did go back to work in the same power plant and still there today, with no ears,nose,hair on his head etc. now at time of his burn on the 4160 we had been required to wear these special shirts flame retardent etc. well guess what all that **** got burnt completly off him,I understand that his extra protection of his fruit of the looms saved his dick, but if you was to see his face and arms you would have to wonder.
Myself the biggest flash I have been in was some 25KV I accidently opened the wrong dissconect in a substation with a little over 200Amps on it, all I can say is it was the neatest thing I have ever witnessed the way the flames just ROLLED towards me like in the old cartoons with flames of death chasing the charactors, something I will never forget and as neat as it was NEVER want to exsperience that again. oh I could go on and on of flashes, some normal switching that just need to know its going to do it. Just never let anything become ROUTINE is the main thing, if you out there doing stuff sooner or later something going to happen, but yes anything above 277/480 do wear PPE Cotton will do, oh they make full switching suits to wear for anything above 4KV, but as for 120/240 voltages we just talking patty cake there, but still do wear cotton even around it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard