ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
but yes anything above 277/480 do wear PPE Cotton will do
NO. It is not suitable in most cases to have just cotton clothes. They must be FR and rated for the available incident energy. Cotton, non-FR clothing is only for Hazard/Risk Level 0 per NFPA 70E. The only electrical work in this Hazard/Risk Level is the operation of switches and breakers with the covers closed where the voltage is above 240V or with the covers open where the voltage is 240V or below and work on energized control circuits that operate at 120V or less. Any other type of electrical work on or near live parts requires the use of FR clothing. The use of voltage testing equipment always requires PPE for at least Hazard/Risk Level 1. This requires FR clothing, however, standard denim cotton jeans with a fabric weight of at least 12oz per square yard can be used in lieu of FR rated pants. Above Level 1, you must have FR clothing and many tasks requires the use of a hood in addition to the FR clothing.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
Doug (and Edward)... I don't have any new info to add to this discussion. However, I wanted to voice my support for Don's comments. He is right on track.

You do need to use appropriate PPE that follows the guidelines of 70E or an equivalent analysis. I would highly recommend that you purchase and use Class 00 gloves for all "low voltage" work, where it is impractical to de-energize the circuit. I think we should all learn from the numerous injuries and deaths that have resulted from inadvertant contact with these sources. [Linked Image]

Take a look at this thread on following the 70E guidelines:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000183.html

Hope this helps. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 03-21-2005).]

K
Another link with gloves: www.whsalisbury.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard