ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#49833 05/12/05 01:23 PM
I
don patterson

First welcome to the forum. [Linked Image]

The answer is ..............NO

The answer to is no to what?

Do you have a code section in mind or is that just how you feel it should be done?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#49834 05/12/05 04:29 PM
D
To iwire, sid asked a simple ? I didnt assume anything, to me it was a black and white ? thats all.It could be a 3ph service to a house, i dont know, he gave us no more info.

#49835 05/12/05 08:38 PM
P
Mustang
"There is also NO code requirement to NOT have service conductors NOT accessible in an attic or anywhere else for that matter..i dont think it is that safe because there is no fuse between you and the poco xfmr"

Have you read:

VI. Service Equipment — Disconnecting Means
230.70 General. Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the serviceentrance
conductors.
(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).
(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

There are some jurisdictions that have (in writing) some allowance inside the building.
In general the service entrance conductors are not permitted inside of a building.

Running this in walls as you have stated is not permitted.

Pierre Belarge
#49836 05/13/05 12:15 PM
A
Macmikeman:stated,
"I will cut off the bare ground conductor at each end right at the spot where the sheath is opened up to. That way I am using two hots, and an "insulated" neutral conductor. I wonder if others will see fault with this method?."
I believe section 250.4 might apply. Noncurrent carrying conductive materials enclosing...etc.
Unless the outer conductors are bonded to something a break in the inner wires could energize them (the outer) and create a shock hazard. If it were a metal conduit enclosing conductors you would never leave it unbonded.
Alan -Inspector

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
#49837 05/13/05 12:43 PM
M
Allen stated in last post:Unless the outer conductors are bonded to something a break in the inner wires could energize them (the outer) and create a shock hazard. If it were a metal conduit enclosing conductors you would never leave it unbonded.
Reply: Alan when installing service drops in a metal mast we do not use ser cable, we run individual conductors thru the mast which is bonded to the meter can. I was refering to ser cable which is strapped to the building surface up to a cable weatherhead. Ser cable does not have "outer conductors" flat se cable does. Ser cable has an uninsulated ground run along with the three insulated conductors. In a service drop if the bare wire is cut short at each end there is actually very little chance of shock hazard since it is part of a service drop since this conductor is contained entirely within the cable sheath. If the cable becomes subject to physical damage well then we are talking about a totaly different thing- a service drop with a broken wire inside a cable is a disaster no mater whether ser cable or se cable.

#49838 05/13/05 12:48 PM
M
P.S. Sorry about the thread hijack. Sid123456 I think you should spend the extra money and run the cable at right angles keep it ship shape. If your work is not consistantly first class, it will reflect back on your image to the public sooner or later.

#49839 05/13/05 02:19 PM
L
Is this going to be exposed to view? Or is it covered up? If it can't be seen by the "public", then run it diagonally!! Geez, I've seen enough bad stuff run at right angles; the installation can be neat and to code, and you can save the money for when you need the labor to make it look perty!

#49840 05/13/05 04:57 PM
L
LK Offline
Yes you can do the job, like a handyman, or you can do first class craft work, everyone is missing the reason, why we try to run cables at right angles, to avoid running over, or under existing pipes, ducts, or cables that are run at right angles, just last month we repaired a cable that was run under a water pipe at an angle, when the plumber was installing the new dishwasher he burned thru the cable.
In my opinion this is not an issue, right angles in exposed areas 1st class Electrician, diagional run Handyman work.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard