ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Here are the first ones for tonight! I can post specifications later on.
Feel free to discuss / comment any or all of these units [locomotives].

* GE's [General Electric] Model C44-9W. Taken at BNSF's 3rd District near Yorba Linda, CA. circa 1999:

[Linked Image]

Left, or Engineer's side - front view. "Pumpkin" paint scheme.

[Linked Image]

Inside of Cab - right hand side control panel

[Linked Image]

Right, or Fireman's side with the "Silver / Red Warbonnet" Paint Scheme - front view. This one shot in Fullerton, CA. near Advance Transformer's previous California Distribution Center. Circa 04/ 2001

Posted 10/24/2001 @ 22:05:00 by Scott "SET"

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
CRT display... Cool!

And a joystick!

Wow, thanks Scott, I've never seen the inside of one before.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
W
Just came from my other BB forum, autobody.com, and I bet those guys would like to know how this big dude was painted.
You can tell what Scott's other passion is, [Linked Image] photography or trains? Thanks for the great pictures.

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Glad everyone liked these shots!

The interior shot[s] are from the newer models, which are extremely nice inside - as compared to legacy models.

I'll post some shots of legacy interiors / control panels to show the major difference between "Circa 1970/1980's" models and "Circa 1990/2000's" models.

The Joystick controller takes the place of Two separate controller handles on the legacy models.
Instead of one for "Power Throttle" and one for "Dynamic Brakes", the Joystick incorporates them both into one control device - Power Throttle positions from the "Center Position" incrementing in the forward direction of movement [slide forward], Dynamic Brake from the "Center Position" incrementing in the backward direction of movement [slide backward].
Since there is a need to Idle Down the Prime Mover [Diesel Engine] prior to the use of Dynamic Brakes, the "Center Position" is an almost natural and comfortable position for this to rest at.
Time delay is supposed to be no less than 10 seconds between moving the Power Throttle from position 1 thru 8 into "Idle", then moving to any position [1 thru 8] for Dynamic Brake.
Most of the time, Engineers will begin Dynamic Braking far before the 10 second minimum - more like when the Prime Mover is near Idle, because they want to keep the Train's speed within the "Effective Braking Region".
This is normally between 12 and 25 MPH for normal Dynamic Brakes, and from 6 to 35 MPH for Extended Range Dynamic Brakes.

Need to include some specs' for these units. The numbers are impressive!

Maybe this weekend [???]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Does the dynamic brake generate power to be stored in a battery and/or capacitor bank?

Or is it just wasted as heat?

I told my wife that the less she touches the brakes on the car, the more mileage it would get on gas... She thought I was nuts...

What I meant, is to manage the energy of the vehicle so that it isn't wasted as heat from braking... Keep in mind WV Country Roads ...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-27-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
The inside of the cab pic is great! Did the engineer let you in, or was this a clandestine shot?
(Scott, don't you ever sleep? You're certainly up at all hours)

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Here's a couple shots of "legacy" unit Control Panels [Locomotive Controls] which were taken recently.
Once I locate some good ones from my "Archive Of Photos", I'll scan them and post.

These 3 were taken in an SW1500 and an SD50:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Big difference between old and new [Linked Image]

Virgil,

Good call!!!

The Dynamic brakes on Diesel-Electric Locomotives with DC traction Motors will send regenerated current through a Resistor Bank and dissipate the regenerated Power [in this case, True Power, in Watts] as Heat.
The Dynamic Brake Resistor's "Blister Pack" can be easilly identified on EMD Locomotives, since they are really apparent!
About 1/2 way between the Cab and the rear end of the Unit, the D-Brake "Blister Pack" is located at the upper most part of the "Long Hood", visible on both sides. -more about this later-

For Locomotives with AC Traction Motors, the Dynamic Brake system is truely a "Dynamic Brake". These have DC "Injected" into the Traction Motors [refer to my Dynamic Brake Motor Control Schematic].
The DC method is in reality "Regenerative Braking" since the Motors generate DC power back, which is then applied to the Resistor array. This method could be thought of like a "Jake Brake" on a diesel truck.

On Electrified Railways using DC power throughout the system, the Dynamic Braking of Trains can be taken advantage of and "recovered". These usually will apply some of the Dynamic Braking power back into the system via Diode arrays [for proper current flow direction / polarity].
For AC powered systems, this can be an Engineering Nightmare!!!

Scott,

The shots from, or in Cabs were with the Train Crew's permission.
I have many older shots taken from the Cab[s] of Amtrak Trains while we were in service [taken while riding in the front unit's cab]. Most were between San Diego and Fullerton, plus Fullerton and Los Angeles.
The one with me in Barstow was during a Station Stop at Barstow, which is why I am shown at the traditional "Engineer's Side".

The interior cab shot of the C44-9W # 4819 was taken in Yorba Linda [where the Weir Canyon Rd. offramp is off the 91 fwy.].
This Train, plus the one next to it on the right [from the cab shot, it's on the left], were stopped to allow Metrolink Traffic clearance.
During the peak Metrolink operating hours [5 to 8 AM and 3 to 6 PM], they will be kept here until Passenger Train Traffic has lightened up.
Mostly the District [Tracks] that run off this District to San Diego call for Freight Traffic to hold up here. That District is the one which goes over the 91 fwy between Fry's Electronics and Tustin Ave.

That District has only one Main Line, while at the point where #4819 is stopped, there are three main lines.
These two Trains are stopped at the Junction where the 3rd Main Line begins/ends off of the "North Track" of the two main line 3rd district.
The 3rd District [running from LA to San Bernardino] is now mostly two main lines. Some places have 3 and even 4 main lines on the 3rd district.
This particular 3 track section begins at Weir Canyon rd. and ends at Prado Dam [where the "Bi-centennial" Dam is].

The late night posting was from some odd hour work. Tonight it's because the clock is running too fast [Linked Image] and no work for a while [Linked Image].

Scott " 35 " Thompson
S
Ya gotta love it. Aforum that combines my two favorite things, electricity and trains. Thanks Scott35, I need to tell a friend who is a firefighter to look here, he's also a railfan.

Link Copied to Clipboard