ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#49723 03/14/05 01:50 PM
R
Amazing! I had the privilege of visiting a very large, expensive home that is under construction. The home has more than 7,500 sq. ft. of living area and is in the final stages of completion. I was in awe at the electrical, security, audio/visual, and all the control systems. Every item is "Top of the line". The EC, a friend, is performing the installation. His base contract was in the range of $80,000 and he told me there had been several extras/changes and the total may reach $100,000. I had thought that my system was state of the art (I did the installation myself) but that house makes my system look nearly primitive. I may be wrong, but $13 sq. ft. for electrical seems obscene.
Rowdy

#49724 03/14/05 02:22 PM
OK, that sounds like an impresive McMansion. I don't do resi as an EC, but I "see" a lot of resi as an AHJ. Yes, there is a lot of "low voltage" items being installed, hopefully by the EC's. A few guys have said the LV 'pays the rent'.

John

John
#49725 03/14/05 05:18 PM
E
I may be wrong, but $13 sq. ft. for electrical seems obscene.
Why? The way you describe it it sounds like it absolutely should be that much if not more.

#49726 03/14/05 09:31 PM
T
I have done work on a lot of these mansions in my area too, and I wonder how much use many of the owners really get out of the stuff they install, or should I say- are forced to install by the CC&R's of the (million-dollar)HOA's they belong to.. I was blown away when one owner told me that the community stipulations were that alarms and a certain amount of computer networking infrastructure in the walls was mandatory- and this in a planned community where bare lots started @ 900K. Not to denigrate the initial post in the slightest.. A fully finished tricked-out house is a sight to behold and leaves you with a sense of accomplishment and pride that feels like you just conquered Everest without using oxygen, but really, don'tcha wonder what some of these owners are really gonna do with all the bells and whistles once they've bought them? None that I have met seem to be "technical" types.

#49727 03/14/05 09:33 PM
H
Rowdy,

I agree with John, I have been instpecting the same house for the last 3 years. The permit was pulled out in 2000 and the house still isn't done yet. The service and the rough has been done. I just started doing the 2nd floor final in 2 trips. The house is about 10,000 sq ft. Indoor pool, indoor waterfall, and indoor fish pond, 6 car garage, 600 amp service, 10 HVAC units, (2 boilers are just for the heated driveway). Large stand by generator, indoor beauty saloon, and massage table, elevator, and some other things that I can't remember. The EC has been there for the last 4 years on and off. He is getting tired of the job and he just works by himself.

#49728 03/20/05 11:55 AM
C
2 boilers are just for the heated driveway)

And we wonder why fuel prices have risen so much lately? Don't get me started.

"Conservation" is an unknown word in America. [Linked Image]

Peter D.

Peter
#49729 03/20/05 12:30 PM
H
I did a new house on just nights and weekends and a little vacation time couple of years ago, very high end home, the fact that after parts of the house were allmost complete the homeowner's wife came up with something about the positive energy was not going to flow thru the house just right, so whole walls including exterior walls were removed and re-framed and of course re-wired, needless to say I bought a brand new Harley (Road King not a Sporty) after that job with cash, and part of the reason I left a full time reg. job to go on my own. Vail to Aspen in Colorado has lots of heated driveways, I have drove bye and seen the steam coming off them. and yes WOW and AHH is the word for it.

[This message has been edited by highvoltageguy (edited 03-20-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard