ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Haligan Offline OP
After old work trenching of walls and ceilings, who patches the drywall?

A. Me or underling.
B. I know a guy
C. Homeowner
D. Sub-contractor
E. Other

Who paints?

I'm asking because I'm part of a general contractor crew that has several people who are very good at matching textures. I can patch holes smoothly, but to match some of those exotic textures takes experience. Those trowling guys have so much more experience and have experimented with all kinds of mixes and compounds.
We're always doing remodels so everything is old work. And the home theater thing... LOTS of TRENCHING!

D
I patch within 1/8" myself and tell them they need a decorator to finish it. I refer them to a good decorator if they don't know one. Let's face it, it's a different trade.

Dave

U
Its not really old-work, but we do get late changes on new projects.

We always try to not be responsible for wall patching, but usually compromise and re-board the holes, then let the wall trades take care of the rest.

If I'm doing the work, I make sure the piece I cut out will be easy to put back in again. [Linked Image]

Tom Offline
I never take on drywall patching or painting.

If you're working in an older building with plaster walls, you would be wise to exclude any damage done to the plaster for any reason. I've run into some really rotten stuff where 1/2 the wall came down while cutting in an outlet box.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
J
We have a clause in our contract that patching and painting is not our problem, no matter what the cause.

... If it's sheetrock that I had to cut for a hand hole,I either keep the piece I cut out,then when done,I put a piece of furring strip behind it,and screw the cut piece to it..(to me,it's better than just leaving a hole in the wall,and it usually looks alittle neater)then I tell them it's up to them to have it spackled over and painted,or I put in a plastic single gang old work box,and put a white blank plate on it,..if esthetics is not a concern.I can't spackle to save my own hide,..so I refer a good dry-waller that I know,or usually the H.O. has their own..
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 03-05-2005).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
S
A Drywall Contractor!

Haligan,
Generally there's a rule in EC work over here:
You broke it, you fix it yourself or pay someone that can [Linked Image]

R
We typically avoid any repairs other than replacing a small piece of drywall we have removed. Finish and paint is always completed by others. I will let the customer know this in advance if there is to be sheetrock removal and let them know that I know a number of subcontractors that I can refer if they do not have or know of someone to do the repairs.

G
We always try to negoiate patch and paint on the front side.

We will do it if we have to, but generally we're not that good at it and prefer not to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard