ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
pauluk Offline OP
That's an interesting article. It confirms that the Buffalo/Niagara region of NY did have 25Hz generators, but I wonder how late regular residential loads were actually being supplied at that frequency, and not at 60Hz via converters?

By the way, the book I mentioned at the start is actually on model railroad wiring. This is the third edition, with the first out in 1950, so it's possible that things had changed in those few years as grids were expanded and developed.

I guess there's also the possibility that the generators were only feeding into the 60Hz converters by that time but somebody just got the wrong end of the stick.

D
I worked on a railroad in Duluth MN and we had 25 cycle power into mid 1980's. Both 25 and 60 cycle were supplied by the utility. I was on the crew that had to eliminate the need for 25 cycle as the utility was discontinuing it. I don't know how they generated it on their end but we had two 13.8kv loops on our property.

D
Paul, there some states that are not connected to the US grids. This is a result of the New York blackouts back in the 60's. Howevewr it does not mean they are intercconected.

When I worked for a utility in Oklahoma we interfacerd with Texas utilities via DC. We entered the yard at 138KV AC, rectified to DC, had a bus to the the Texas utility, they inverted back to 138KV AC all in the same substation.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard