ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
wow now it do show the instering about the safety here .

Gfretwell :

the gas will seep the any dricetion in the ground it can go down or up or sideway or go near the sewer pipe or water pipe or any other cable etc and it can go thru the hole like very small pin hole and can fill up the basement pretty fast somecase it only take few minutes to do it.

few years ago i did see one house blow up pretty fast this guy was lucky he came out and talk to one of the crew guys and their underground boring machine hit the gas pipe and somehow it found the sewer pipe and filled up the basement up full of natrual gas and something ingited it and blew the house up all it left is the basement everything else in the house flew out and can find debires everywhere including few items that hit the power line and cut the power off. so you get the idea how strong and fast the blast can do it.

this event it only took less than 5 min that all the time it took to fill the house basement that what i heard

major high pressure gas line useally run more than 60 PSIG and they have local branch which it run somehow lower pressure like 20 PSIG and the gas regulator for the house will drop from med pressure to down to 7 inch water colloum which that is 1/4 PSIG

PSIG = Pound Square Inch Gauge

P.S. i am not sure about european and other area do run the simuiar pressure or not if not please do post it here

Now you know as we like to remind that the spring time is comming and we like to remind each other that the underground uilites will like your help to work together to advoid anymore tragic event around any area

[ i will remind the same thing in few other forums to remind this event too ]

Merci, Marc

[This message has been edited by frenchelectrican (edited 03-05-2005).]

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

L
LK Offline
Marc,

I consider my house well sealed, and when the line ruptured 2 blocks away, it only took a few minutes, for my house to reach explosive levels, We still have a lot of contractors driving rods, and digging trenches, without mark-outs, they use every excuse, from it's just a ground rod, to it's only a 18" trench, or i know where all the utilities come in, they most likely thought, that the pipe was deeper, or in another location at the job site of todays explosion.

N
When we were doing a lot of cell tower builds, we had locates on all sites. I would guess that at least 15% had water/gas/power or comm lines that were not at the proper depth. We also found 2 or 3 cases/ month of the utility not where the locates indicated or we found something not marked or not on a utilities plans.
We also have pot holed in places to expose a line and found nothing near the locate marks. [Linked Image]
Some times this got scary. Fortunatly we had no injuries or property damage other than a cut com or cable TV line-Quikly repaired.
Gas lines are the ones that scare me because gas will follow lines and go thru voids in the ground ending up who knows where. [Linked Image]
The use of plastic lines just make locates harder to do and much easier to cut with a digging tool. Had one water line cut by a man with a shovel. The water line was only 18" deep. [Linked Image]

ed
Trumpy Offline OP
Ed,
You don't even need a very big tool to rupture a HP Gas (Propane) line.
There were 2 Cable jointers working on an 11kV cable here in NZ and were using a Hot air gun powered from a generator outside of the hole that the guys were working in.
They were finishing the Heatshrinking of a joint on a previously broken cable, cut by a Digger, what they didn't know was that a sliver had also been taken out of the Gas pipe that was not shown on the plans.
When the Hot Air gun was switched on......
I don't need to tell you guys the results.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-06-2005).]

S
Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Before you start diggin' for your pot' o' gold, call that "one-call" number in your area.

In my previous post I mentioned the "Common Ground Alliance" organization that has been working on standarizing utility locates in the US. Well, this past week, they released this very interesting statement:
FCC Adopts 811 As National Call-Before-You-Dig-Number

CGA WELCOMES NATIONAL CALL-BEFORE-YOU-DIG NUMBER

Alexandria, VA – March 10, 2005 – The Common Ground Alliance (CGA), a 1,200 member inter-industry group that promotes the safety of pipelines, power and telecommunications cables and other underground facilities, praised the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for its adoption today of a national call-before-you-dig 3-digit telephone number – 8-1-1.     

"We commend the FCC.  This simple, convenient number will encourage safe excavation, protecting the nation's vital energy and telecommunications infrastructure and those living nearby," said CGA President Bob Kipp.  "The next step is to get the number online as expeditiously as possible and make it as familiar as 9-1-1."

Careless digging poses a threat to underground facilities and to people.  According to CGA board Chairman Paul Preketes, (Senior Vice President of Gas Operations for Consumers Energy); "There are about 400,000 excavation incidents each year resulting in substantial damage to facilities and about 50 fatalities."

Most states have established "one call centers" for people to call before they dig.  These centers handle between fifteen and twenty million calls annually and, along with other initiatives, have increased safety.  Accidents still occur, however, because some people who dig around underground facilities still do not make the call.  "When companies or individuals plan to dig, the first thing they must do is contact a one-call center.  This will help ensure that underground facilities are properly located and marked," Preketes said.

Representative Joe Barton (R-TX), chair of the House Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality provided key support to help enact the Pipeline Safety Improvement Act of 2002, which mandated a 3-digit number.  Besides Representative Barton, the FCC and its chairman Michael Powell, other important advocates for a 3-digit call-before-you-dig number include U.S. Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta, Ms. Stacey Gerard of the Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, and Commissioner Linda Kelly, Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control and Vice-Chair Gas Committee of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners.

It will take time – perhaps a year or more – for the telecom industry, the FCC and others to fully implement the new number across the United States.  The designation of this new 3-digit number by the FCC will better facilitate the call-before-you-dig process and add to the national Dig Safely program.  The CGA looks forward to assisting this effort through its membership and public awareness campaigns.  For more information about this and other campaigns in damage prevention, visit our website at <A HREF="http://www.commongroundalliance.com. " TARGET=_blank>www.commongroundalliance.com. </A>

For Additional Information:
Common Ground Alliance
1421 Prince Street, Suite 410
Alexandria, VA  22314

The CGA has posted this press release as well as the FCC press release on their website. Check it out!

Since Spring will be Sprung on Sunday in the Northern Hemisphere (sorry Mike and Kiwi)... the diggin' is bound to pick up.

Stay safe out there. And don't drink too much green beer today. [Linked Image]
Glenn

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 03-17-2005).]

D
Seems close to universal... this is from northern IL's JULIE (Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators) service.
http://www.safeelectricity.org/images/julie.gif

[Linked Image from safeelectricity.org]

Edited to add - we had a house "get blowed up good" [Linked Image] a few years ago (Jan 2003). Turns out they were remod-ing, and while digging the water line nicked the gas, which was supposed to have been 24" lower than where it was.

The painters inside the (luckily vacant) house came out to complain of a gas smell, when it either hit the standing pilot or the heat kicked on. Eihter way, it found an ignition source and KA-FREAKIN' BOOM!

Instant chunks-O-house.

The guy down in the water pit had the house blow over him. Not sure if he needed to change his drawers afterwards.

[Linked Image from oak.cats.ohiou.edu]

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 03-19-2005).]

R
Trumpy, They do a good job in the South Island.

In Auckland 11 kV cable depth is in general 900 mm. and low voltage 230 / 400 V is 600 mm as per regs.

Colour coding: The new fibre optics being installed here in greater Auckland for Scada and new digital systems is put in purple conduit. Not sure how deep there most is drilled for

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
R
Should have seen it a few years ago at my X girlfriends apartment bldg.. The gas locate was a meter off, they hit it while removing the old fuel-oil tanks.. No biggie the supers of the building ( her mom actually and one other person) shut off power and evacuated everyone "just in case"... Nothing bad happened until they now hit the unmarked 3" water main to the place and flooded everything!!!1
And then we had the " big blackout" that very same day but thats another story..
[Linked Image]

A.D

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard