ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jkochan Offline OP
We have received a notice that GFP testing on our SES is due (from the Co. that installed it). While we are pro-active in our preventative maintenance on this building, the Property manager is concerned about cost and down time. Since our insurance carrier has not required this test yet, is it necessary? Is this testing best done by the power company or a private contactor? Since the very thought of a deliberate power-down of the building has everyone wringing their hands in anguish, can someone give me an idea of the time frame for this test?

D
There are private companies that will test it, I think it costs us around $500 here in SoCal. Downtime is minimal, like 1/2 hour max. The only times we have had people do it are when inspectors require it for a new building, or if a plant is having problems with it tripping. I can't recall a facility that checks it as a preventative maintenance requirement, not to say that it shouldn't be tested.

J
jkochan Offline OP
Thanks for your reply. We duly notified the next rung up on the food chain of the reason for the test and the NFPA recommendation to do so. Since no one will take the time to look up NFPA 70-B, it will most likely languish in his or her in-box for eternity or until the insurance carrier takes notice.

Link Copied to Clipboard