ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48878 02/22/05 09:46 AM
S
Hello!-I'm seriously considering joing the Union-I'm a AK. State licensed journeyman and I am wondering what to expect when I sit down with the union rep. and what the exam is like. I read that I have to take thier journeyman test and then my application for membership is reviewed and then I guess they accept me or not, is this pretty much how it works?-thanks [Linked Image]

#48879 02/22/05 02:16 PM
H
I have been a member for 15 years. Here is what to expect (Here in Ohio). 3 hour test. 1/3 Code, 1/3 theory, the rest safty and basic electrical knowlegde. Tough test. Remember if you fail the test you can retest, a total of 3 times. Don't let them talk you into taking a lower position than you are comfortable with. Good luck. I just became a Union Contractor.

[This message has been edited by highkvoltage (edited 02-22-2005).]

#48880 02/22/05 02:46 PM
S
Appreciated highkvoltage! Congrats on becomming a Union contractor! Right know I'm stuyding a Mike Holt book and a slew of Audel books I got for christmas. I'll post whatever expieriences I have that will help someone else out when its all said and done! -Thanks again!-

#48881 02/22/05 05:59 PM
H
The exam is mostly open book for the code section. You will also have to know deductions and gains for conduit. AC/DC theory, tranformers and motor control circuits. Post here and any questions I can answer to help you out let me know. Again best of luck to you.

[This message has been edited by highkvoltage (edited 02-22-2005).]

#48882 02/25/05 07:22 AM
O
i passed the test in 1978, and, although i know things have changed greatly since then, i am still active and working in the trade. i, as well as others here, will certainly help you and answer any questions you may have. good luck!

oldtimer

#48883 02/25/05 02:25 PM
S
Thanks Oldtimer! The test is scheduled for 3/14/05 and its 50%code-50%therory/electrical trade knowledge/ saftey-tools-misc.-There is a review class for 50$ the week before so I'm thinking I should take that as well. Right now I'm studying about 5 hours a day using practice exams from "Tom Henery" and "Mike Holts" Electrcians exam preperation.

I was wondering if I am accpeted and all that- when it comes time to start work do you have to do a classic interview with the union shop contractor(?) or do you just get a dispatch and show up and start working?

I was also curious if your expierience as a union electrcian has been a good one? I am joining because I have kids/morgtage/ya'know just like most of you guys- and I need to know that I am working for a company that has my best intrests in mind and not just thier bottom-line, mutual respect-if I work my tail off for 8 hours I want 8 hours pay and company who gives me everything I need to meet thier deadlines.I spent 8000+ hours working and learning this trade and I am a professional and I want to be treated as such-(bottom-line). My expierience in non-union shops has ranged from really good to downright hostile/backstabbing/un-safe working enviorment- I hope that the IBEW(union shops) at the very least provides a safe/fair work enviorment with a fair wage!
-Thank you!

#48884 02/25/05 11:26 PM
R
Like the guy's said. It's an open book test.
25 years playing sparky
took the test 3 years ago smoked it.
then just had to bump heads w all the guys that call you a step brother. just because you didn't come up through the training classes. here in our upstate NY hall we organized guys outnumber them 2 - 1
we all have our skills so don't let them get on you and we are never to old to learn new tricks Good luck

#48885 02/26/05 12:08 AM
C
CRW Offline
I'm a union member (organized in--did years 4-5 of the "program") and I've seen good and bad on both sides. I'm happy I made the move, but I won't discredit the many knowledgeable and decent electricians that are not in the union. I think most of the forum members here are non-union, but they seem very knowledgeable and are good people as well, which I count as even more important. One real thing to take into account is the work availability in your area. I know that in many areas union work has been slow for a long time now.

#48886 02/26/05 07:45 PM
N
I was wondering if I am accpeted and all that- when it comes time to start work do you have to do a classic interview with the union shop contractor(?) or do you just get a dispatch and show up and start working?

Depends on the contractor and the Forman hiring you. Most of the time you get dispatched, do the paper work and go to work. The contractor does have the right to "spin" you without cause. (A very sore subject among some) I work for a very large shop and we have to go through an interview process when hiring members. The guy may not realize it but that is what it is. If I don't feel he is going to work out I can send him back to the hall. I also have to check if he/she has ever worked for us before. There have been a number of times where a guy was fired on a job in one county and took a call in another to the same company. The payroll lady catches it and notifies the superintendents and the guy that hired him gets in trouble for not checking. (No this is not a black list. It is not shared among other contractors. An employer has a right to keep employee records and hire who he chooses to protect his best interest.)

Work in the area is always a concern union or not. I can tell you anyone not working in Southern California over the past year is not working by choice.

#48887 02/26/05 10:23 PM
G
There is a whole lot more work than there is qualified workers in SW Florida. They have trouble finding enough unqualified workers.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard