ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48836 02/21/05 04:51 PM
M
I have an upcoming project, to install some floor mounted receptacles, in an existing hardwood floor.
This is a very "upscale" addition, & I'm looking for some nice looking, flushmount receptacles,that are easy to install in hardwood floors.
Has anyone used a specific type that they like ?

D
I prefer the look of a single outlet with brass trim. It fits in any rework box, or SD ring. The duplexes I've seen are majorly ugly.

Dave

I
314.27(C) Floor Boxes. Boxes listed specifically for this application shall be used for receptacles located in the floor.

Exception: Where the authority having jurisdiction judges them free from likely exposure to physical damage, moisture, and dirt, boxes located in elevated floors of show windows and similar locations shall be permitted to be other than those listed for floor applications. Receptacles and covers shall be listed as an assembly for this type of location.

I have used some steel city stamped steel floor boxes with brass covers that where made for wood floor installation.

They where decent don't know the price.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
I used Carlon's new/old kit w/brass duplex;
worked out well.Consider furniture placement;
if receptacle will be under a table etc.,
a suface mount might be the ticket;easier,less damage to floor.Often 'upscale' equals frequent redecorating- sur mt. would only leave small hole to fix.

S
I like the close-to-flush P&S floor boxes for wood floors. The plug is recessed, and has a neat cover to close when not in use. It comes with plastic cover in many colours (I usually choose brown for hardwood)

I would never go with an above floor box/plug again.
http://www.passandseymour.com/news/view.cfm?id=52

If your customer likes BRASS....
http://www.passandseymour.com/news/view.cfm?id=79

edited message....

the cover can be fully removed and replaced as often as the customer wishes.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 02-22-2005).]

H
I second the Pass and Seymour (79). Easy to install in hardwood floors. Holesaw sized for the box, I believe 3", using a low speed. Watch for the floor joist. I almost did that once, measured wrong. Another 1/8" and I would have be up a creek.

J
I like Lew boxes. Good price compared to steel city. Hole saw makes for easy, perfectly flush install.
http://www.lewelectric.com/cfm/residential_812.cfm

M
Thanks for the replys, I have seen several of these, and the Carlon seems pretty easy to install. Thanks again

Link Copied to Clipboard