ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Seems like there are recalls on products daily. It is really annoying at best and kind of scary at worst. I would not like to be the person that becomes the subject of the recall. In the last few months my Ford truck, Dodge durango, two cell phones, Sq D AFCI breakers and X box video game system have all been subject to recalls. If our work was done as shoddy as these manufacturers we would probably end up in jail.

C
Scott, have to agree with you! It does not seem like you can put on the nightly news without hearing of another recall. Big business is getting it rewards for taking their bean counters advice. Maybe now they will start listening to their engineers and make better products. Probably not.

Al

S
If everybody wasn't so 'litigation happy', I think there would be far less recalls. Recalls are just ass-protection for the manufacturer.

B
(I only know the math on for the xbox one.)

The failure rate was 0.000016312% for the XBox power cords. That doesn't seem to bad to me.

R
Scott, this is kind of parallel with installing everything per the word of the code with no common sense applied. [Linked Image]

Roger

E
[Linked Image] I don't see the parallel. I certainly have had issues where I have had to use creative code interpretation. It is a fact of life especially in remodel type work. The example you are talking about in my opinion has no wiggle room. Again where do you draw the line? Just because one way is an easier way does not make it right. for those who are wondering what the heck I am talking about.... https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005509.html

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 02-19-2005).]

R
Scott, the parallel is the fact the some of these recalls are for performance criteria that is ridiculous or a "it could happen" nature.

Are we going to mandate that every vehicle regardless of age be brought up to modern technology when we take it in for a set of brakes just to have it recalled for something that may go wrong with this new brake technology next year?

There are some valid recalls and bogus UL listings, but to recall a vehicle because the sheet metal may come apart when hitting a tree at 150 mph is not really a workmanship issue. (that was an exaggeration)

Roger

E
Roger now I see what you are getting at. I don't beleive that these recalls are for performance criteria, nor are they to bring the vehicles up to current technology as you suggest. Therefore I still don't see the parallel. The ones on my truck are both problems that may result in a fire. The one on my Durango could result in a crash. You would have a hard time convincing me that the manufacturers are recalling products, at a cost of who knows, for minor issues. My point is the lack of engineering or manufacturing that results in these defects. This could be parallel to tapping into an old circuit that ends up causing a fire where if you had followed the proper methods for the job it likely would not have happened. [Linked Image]

Scott,
I can't sort of fathom your reasoning in your last post.
Recalls as far as I'm aware are made to protect the public, from dangerous situations caused by all sorts of things, motor vehicles included.
At the same time, there is NO such thing as an infallible product, everything that has ever been invented has had it's down-fall.
It's just that we seem to have a lot of lawyers that like to jump on stuff like this now.
Make your own decision.

E
Mike, my point is that there seems to be way too many recalls these days. I am sure that some are a result of someone covering their rear ends. But many are legitimate issues that have to be taken care of. Is the design/manufacturing process that much worse than it used be or was the protocall in the past just let it go and hope the results (deaths & injuries) are minimal and no one notices? The last part of my post was in refrence to a specific situation that has been dabated in another thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard