ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
2000xp8 Offline OP
I'm in need of a new cordless combo kit, my ryobi setup got me through the first year of business as i hoped, but battery time and power is down to nothing.

I'm getting a milwaukee or dewalt kit with:
Hammer Drill, Circular saw, and Sawzall.

Prices
dewalt-$499
Milwaukee $450

Anyone notice any quality difference?

I'm leaning towards the milwaukee so far, because
A. Comes with the bag instead of the bulky ugly plasice molded case
B. $50 cheaper
C. You get a free work site radio from Milwaukee for purchasing it.

So what's everyone think?

NJ licensed electrician
E
I have had them all and then some. They just don't seem to last as long as they should. I had the milwaukee kit for a few years. The drill died, the battery charger died, and the batteries were a pain in the rear to use. I found a better way. This is revolutionary. Tools that use......Electricity! No batteries, a fraction of the price of cordless, better wear and tear. For cordless drill that is mainly for screwgun use I go cheap. I am about to buy a Hitachi 14V for $79.00 at Lowes. Two batteries and charger and not very heavy. Perfect for everyday screwgun. I have a Dewalt 1/2" T handle drill (not cordless) that has been in use for 10 years. works as good as the day I bought it.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 02-17-2005).]

J
I have a DeWalt 18V hammer drill and I think it's great. I also have the DeWalt jobsite radio and it's junk. Any time I plug in a DeWalt charger on the same circuit it makes so much interference you can't listne to the radio.

Sorry no experience with Milwakee cordless tools. All the corded tools of theirs, 1/2" hole shooter, 3/8 hammer drill, sawzall, 1/4" angle drive adaptor all work great.

F
I had Dewalt 14.4V cordless drills, sawzall and trimsaw and was happy with them until they were stolen off a job in 1999 and in a rush to get back to work I bought a Porter Cable 14.4V driver drill. It was superior to the Dewalt in my opinion. I went on to buy the PC 14.4V hammer drill and had nothing but praise for PC until this winter. The batteries started dying and the box stores quit carrying PC cordless drills and batteries. I was on a commercial job last week 80 miles from home and even my newest PC batteries weren't lasting very long and taking nearly 2 hours to recharge. I went to a near by Lowes and bought a Milwaukee 14.4V 1/2" Lok-Tor drill. Awesome performance and the batteries recharged in 45 minutes or less. I still have a Dewalt 18V sawzall that I love. I used a Milwaukee Hatchet for a couple of days and just didn't care for the feel of it. I have an inverter on the truck that runs my chargers so it's no big deal to have 2 different brand cordless tools. I also used a Milwaukee 18V Lok-Tor for a couple of days on a job this winter but felt it was too much heavier than the 14.4V and didn't offer significant increases in torque or battery run time. For heavy-duty all day drilling 7/8" holes in studs I still like my Dewalt 1/2" D handle drill. I've had it rebuilt twice in the last 15 years and it works great all day. But when I have to crawl back in a tight attic to drill 20 7/8" holes in a double top plate, the 14.4V Lok-Tor handled it with no sweat. I wouldn't want to go totally cordless but cordless tools have their place and truely quality ones are worth their weight in gold.

S
Anybody try any of those cordless impact drivers? If you do a lot of screw driving, especially long screws, you will be impressed with an impact driver drill. These things are smaller, lighter and far more powerful than the average cordless driver/drill.

2000xp8 Offline OP
Thanks for the replys.

I have plenty of corded tools, but i try to take them out of the truck as least as possible, i'm all about conveiniance and quickness.

I have used the impact screw gun, it's very handy, and can get to a right angle inbetween the studs.

As for the dewalt radio getting interference from the charger, don't feel bad, dewalt chargers do that to nearly every radio. Even my 12v dewalt does it.

I need a cordless drill that will stand up to using 7/8 bits with the worm on the top. Because i really hate when i have to go back and make a change and have to get the generator, cord, and drill out, just to make 2 or 3 holes.

Milwaukees battery design does concern me, so far that's one of the only reasons in favor of the dewalt, along with i'd like to purchase an impact screw gun later.

NJ licensed electrician
F
"Milwaukees battery design does concern me, so far that's one of the only reasons in favor of the dewalt, along with i'd like to purchase an impact screw gun later."

Can you explain what concerns you about the battery design?

A
One of our guys has one. Nice for screws. For drilling you need quick release bits or a chuck addaptor. It wont hammer eather.

I like Milwaukee corless drills and love the metal circ saw. The radio is too big and bulky. It won't charge batteries. It will play off Milwaukee batteries but I never have an extra one. They are so expencive and some died after a year. I have the strait sawsall. It's smoother running than a Dewalt but I don't like one thing about it. It seems like the plunger area below the blade is to open for you to get your fingers pinched. The batteries seem to take an hour to fully charge. The do have a 3 pack heavy duty charger that might be faster but it looks bulky (only got so much space in the truck.

Happened to me and others sometimes. I like to spend a bit more and get the hammer for a drill.

For a job radio your probibly better off buying a cheap boom box for much less $$. Most play CD's (maybe mp3s now?) and some have remotes.

It seems like both Dewalt & Milwaukee cordless die too soon.

Porter cable cordless looked solid but they are heavy. I herd porter cable is now going to be inported like the rest. Dewalt is a differant lable for Black & Decker. I was thinking about a Hilti once till I saw the price.

Anyone try the Ridgid cordless yet?

If your cut much metal I would go with a setup you can get a metal circular saw for it. Extra batteries and a flash light are good too.

Tom

2000xp8 Offline OP
I worked for a guy that swore by the hatchet sawzall. It was a PITA to swap batteries, and his charger broke once.

I'm not saying it's a majore concern of mine, but i like the plug on battery more than the slide in.

NJ licensed electrician
2000xp8 Offline OP
There's also the fact that milwaukee is going to put out a new set of cordless tools the V28, which is "supposed" to have twice the run time, and slightly less weight.

But not sure i can wait any longer, my ryobi circular saw can only cut about 3-5 2x4's on a charge.

NJ licensed electrician
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard