ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
...I'd have to go along with Scott,...or...only if the AHJ is willing to sign off on it,..steal the feed from an adjacent source, if running the line was cost prohibitive or next to impossible..but only if the AHJ okay's it,and signs off on it.
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 02-19-2005).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
I
Scott and I live in MA we follow an amended NEC and we have 'Rules' placed ahead of the NEC.

In this case it is "Rule 3"

Rule 3. Additions or modifications to an existing installation shall be made in accordance with this Code without bringing the remaining part of the installation into compliance with the requirements of this Code. The installation shall not create a violation of this Code, nor shall it increase the magnitude of an existing violation.

I would not consider breaking this rule while on the clock of my employer. If I ran my own business (like Scott) I would not break this rule. In my opinion it is not worth the risk to the business.

That is too bad for the reasons Roger pointed out.

As a favor for family or friends I would consider it after looking at the conditions. If it was 15 amp circuit in good condition with proper grounding means I would do it with out loosing any sleep.

If it was ratty K&T I would not.

We each have to draw the line where we can live with it.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
LK Offline
Quote:
"If it was 15 amp circuit in good condition with proper grounding means I would do it with out loosing any sleep."

"If it was ratty K&T I would not."

Good condition, is what you are looking for.
Thank you, Bob

C
It was pretty ratty rag wire Bx. The ground seemed okay(not sure it matters w/GFCI). Is there a good way to check for a good ground? Resistance to water pipe, back to panel with a wire connected to ground bar? The HO now wants to replace the bathroom light fixture but wants to "wait" on the recept. since they don't use it much. Probably will run an extension cord in there when they need it, ouch!

A
I hope they plug the extension cord into a GFCI receptacle.

A
I use a tester made by Ideal that measures ground resistance. It also measures voltage drop and other measurements. I think the model number is 61-156 or ST-1THD

P
pdh Offline
The NFPA frowns on extensions cords. Those have so many hazards. But you know about that already. Still, there are such things as GFCI extension cords.

One risk you might encounter if you install a light fixture that does NOT have a receptacle is that you force the homeowner into using an extension cord (or so it may be argued against you in court). Unless you can find a light fixture that has a convenience outlet ... and with GFCI built in ... you might not want to replace it as that effectively removes something they already have, creating a greater hazard.

H
Here in NJ we have a "Rehab code" which would allow the installer to come off the existing 15 amp circuit. What is better? Using an extension cord from who knows where, or even the non GFI on the vanity light. (Because a new 20 amp circuit is cost prohibited.) Or installing a new 15 amp GFI off the lighting circuit? Just my 2 cents.

I
Harold that makes a lot of sense, we do not have section like that in MA.

So if I apply common sense I will be violating the code putting blood in the water for the sharks if you know what I mean.

It is a shame that I have to think this way, but I do not think commonsense stands up in court. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
SJT Offline
CVELECTRIC,
I could picture the BX style cable your talking about. You move the wires and the insulation starts to break. That itself is in need of repair. That was funny with the Extention cord in the Bathroom. Some home owners just don't know. It's up to us to educate them. If you try to fish and snake a feed off of existing, would it be easier to run a homerun?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard