ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48618 02/16/05 11:30 AM
D
I need to make/buy an extension cord for a welder. 50 amp 250 volt. Nema 6-50R.

I want this to be to code, so no recept mounted in a 1900 box at the end of a cord.

Searched a number of different catalogs online and cannot find a female cord cap for that nema number.

Anyone have any idea where I can buy one?

Or even if they make pre made cords?

The welder guy wants an ext cord but if I cannot find a cord cap I will simply put a longer cord on the welder. Male cord caps are easy to find. It currently has a 8 ft cord.

Would putting a longer cord on the welder be a code violation? UL violation?

If that does not work the last option is to put more hard wired recepts where he needs them.

The welder guy wants to be able to roll the wire feed welder around his shop to wherever he needs it. This is a big shop about 50 ft square.

Many thanks.

#48619 02/16/05 12:05 PM
S
From a safety point of view, I'd say hardwired wall sockets would be the way to go.

That way you're reducing tripping hazards caused by cords spilling all over the floor. Also, the danger of shock caused by the appliance plug and the female extension cord end working loose (a common problem) is eliminated.

I've also never seen 50-amp/250 volt female cord-connectors. Probably not much of a market for them, is my guess.

*edit*: I'm not an electrician. Was just saying something that seems to make sense though.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 02-16-2005).]

#48620 02/16/05 12:47 PM
D
I'd also suggest adding welder outlets to the shop where you need them, rather than using an extension cord.

Dave

#48621 02/16/05 01:40 PM
G
I had that problem myself and solved it by changing the plug on the welder to a Russell Stoll, that does have cord connectors.
I think you can also get IEC309 cord caps too.
I used #6 SO cord for the extension.

Greg Fretwell
#48622 02/16/05 02:34 PM
C
Look into farm supplers for silo unloaders.

The ones I see have ruggedised 6/50 fittings.
We have one here salvaged from a silo unloader setup, all I did was take the plug from the unloader, and attach it to the other end of the 125 ft 6/3 SO cord (which was hard wired into the cotactor), and voila, welder extension.
(has also been used to power a seed cleaner setup too).

Our cord has the ones at: http://www.khindustries.com/products/plugs-conns.html

I suppose any good electrical supply house would be able to get them.

#48623 02/16/05 07:19 PM
S
Drillman

I'm glad to hear that you want to make something that is compliant.

I would suggest that you give up trying to find the female connectors. Yeah they're out there, but, hard to get.

It is probably more cost effective to just buy an extension or adapter.

Most welding supply houses have equipment that is available for the model welder your company is using.

You didn't say what brand, but, for example... take a look at the Lincoln Electric page and peruse their catalog. They have several options available for their models including a 200ft. extension for one of their TIG models.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/

Hope this helps. [Linked Image]

#48624 02/16/05 09:03 PM
D
First thanks for all your ideas.

Adding outlets will not work. The shop is to big and the cord to small. I first thought of this but with an 8 foot cord and around a 50 X 50 foot shop. It just will not reach. Plus he needs to take it outside from time to time to fix vehicles.

I first thought of changing the welder plug. No can do. Other buildings have welding outlets that match this plug. Would not be worth the trouble.

To safetygem: The most obvious solution of course escaped me, contact the company who made the thing. its a Miller. Will do that.

Actually I am a bit steamed at mr welder guy as he did not ask me for advice before ordering. If he did I would have told him to get a LONGER cord on it. He just thought I would "rig" up something for him. If this was a temp contruction job thats one thing, but this is a full time maint shop.

Here on our facility me and the safety man have strictly enforced a no extension cord rule. It would be a bit two faced for me to have one in the maint shop when I tear them out of the rest of the facility.

Gotta lead by example you know.

Update...later today in another building I found a badly damaged ext cord with a dead short on the female end. Wire had pulled out of the cap. Was a tripped breaker call.

Thanks again everybody.

#48625 02/17/05 09:24 PM
M
Drillman

They are available. I just made a cord for a 50 amp Hotsy steam cleaner. I found it at my local supply house. I don't know the part number off the top of my head, but I believe it was a Leviton. It is a very rugged steel enclosure with a plastic cover. It can be a wall mount or cord end.

#48626 02/19/05 07:00 AM
I
Merlin are you sure what you have is UL listed for use at the end of a cord?

I have never seen a device listed for use at the end of a cord and listed for wall mount.

As Greg mentioned Russell Stoll is one company that makes proper 50 amp cord connectors and plugs.

Crouse-Hinds and Meltric also make them.

It will not be cheap, you would need a new plug for the welder, a plug and connector body for the extension cord, and receptacle for the wall.

Hopefully you can get the something from Miller. [Linked Image]

I poked around Millers site and could not find any extension cords. [Linked Image]

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/accessories/

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#48627 02/19/05 06:21 PM
N
Merlin, I hope you are not talking about surface mount receptacles,drop them once and the cover is broken,and they WILL be dropped.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard