ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1 - 04/23/24 02:17 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#48611 09/17/05 04:29 PM
M
I believe a large part of the northeast can become victims to the plant Hal referred to.
Here is an article that goes into some of the flaws going on there: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/08/n...00&en=061702 75c98918d4&ei=5070

Also I don't know what kind of car you drive but you might want to start making sure you can get it going pretty fast as a explosive nuclear blast can create winds of 500 mph.
I am by far no expert on the subject but I wonder how long anyone has after that event.

Here is another article after my google search on the plant in question. http://www.nationalterroralert.com/readyguide/nuclear.htm

The above link's home page is pretty interesting also if are at all interested.

How about the mice infected with the bubonic plague that turned up missing in Newark, NJ ???
It all just makes me ask myself
"What is wrong with people ??? "

[This message has been edited by mkoloj to correct links.]

[This message has been edited by mkoloj (edited 09-17-2005).]

#48612 09/17/05 07:40 PM
E
how about not having back-up power for the emergency sirens at indian point!! going out to bid "soon"

#48613 09/18/05 11:13 AM
D
Well, if SHTF, I'll probably be on duty at the FD...

Had a small supply for Y2k... some cash, about 2 weeks worth of food - but that's the type of thing I kepp on hand anyway. I never anticipated "The End of the world" type scenario for that anyway.

The folks that got caught with their pants down were the type that expected bad things only to happen to other people...and were unprepared as a result. History has shown where their type wind up.

#48614 09/18/05 12:02 PM
N
Also I don't know what kind of car you drive but you might want to start making sure you can get it going pretty fast as a explosive nuclear blast can create winds of 500 mph.
I am by far no expert on the subject but I wonder how long anyone has after that event.

An accident/meltdown at a nuke power plant CANNOT result in a "nuclear blast" similar to an atomic bomb. Simply not the right types of materials and completely wrong configruation.

About the worst case scenario would be a steam/hydrogen explosion in the reactor vessel that breached the containment and released radioactive material. The problem here wouldn't be outrunning 500 mph winds and a shockwave, but trying to evacuate along with everyone else in the area. A full tank of gas in the car does nothing when all the roads turn into parking lots. [Linked Image] Unless you are lucky enough to be one of the first ones on the road, you are going to be there a while, so stock up on potassium iodide pills and hope for the best....

Siting that plant just north (und upriver) of NYC had to be one of the stupidest moves imaginable.

#48615 09/18/05 02:39 PM
G
Y2K was the biggest hoax ever foisted on the world. Responsible computer <hardware> professionals tried to tell people this was not a real issue. It was started be a few software geeks who had non-compliant systems and it was the end of the world for them if it wasn't fixed but it was never going to have any real effect on the world at large.
We kept forgetting the milions of people who were going to show up at work and to what they always do, even if the computer was saying something strange.
The reality was, virtually every process was tested and tested and tested again.
The stupidest things were the "embedded proceesors" like the one in your car, that people said were going to crash. They don't know what day it is, nor do they really care.

Greg Fretwell
#48616 09/22/05 06:43 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Don't worry about any nuclear blast folks.
The weather is the new threat, I see that Rita is due to hit land soon, but who knows where.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard