ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
This included new service drop, meter, Service entrance, Panel and breakers. I hadn't done one in about 8 years, it took me 10.5 hours (I estimated 8) including the hour to mark the panel.

Question is, how long should it take, am I getting to old and slow for this?

The last 100A change I did took me 19 hours... Not including wait time for the inspector and PoCo guys (about 3 hours there...)

I had estimated it for 8 as well...

Sheesh... In Wisconsin, we would do 100A Service Changes within 3 hours including the hot changeover and still get yelled at for being slow... and in -15ºF temps too...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
electricj,
There are many variables that could dictate the time involved, pipe vs. seu, bedrock,10 circuits vs. 40, exposed vs. concealed panel, etc., so a generic time frame is sometimes hard to come by.

B
Wow 10 hours seems a bit long, I did one last thursday, arrrived at 8:35 and was on my way at 12:30pm.
However, when I do a service change I prepare the meter base ie hub set place, SEU tail out of the bottom of the meter, SEU clamp, on the service panel I mount the bonding jumper, put the SEU clamp on the panel, put the panel screws into the holes, on the rope that goes up the side of the house I peel off 40 inches of sheath strip the two conductors, twist the neutral, and set everything into the plastic head, so when all is said and done about 5 hours for a 100 amp sercice change. This way everything is ready to go, and time on the job is about 3 1/2- to - 4 hours. Ground rods go in with the 'Macho' drill.
I wouldnt be too hard on your self if this is the first one you have done in 8 years, thats not too bad, I do about 4-100 amp services a month, after a while you learn all the short-cuts

In my defense, the location of the drop was changed.

Had to run 3/4" PVC to two 6x6x4 PVC Boxes and terminate the HR's to the old HR's while suffering with my new found bulging disc...

I had cut the mast 6" too short and had to add a nipple to the bottom after the conductors were installed, then the conductors were too short (by 1/4").

They were charged at the original 8 hour figure...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-21-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
F
It really varies as to the situation as well as how my luck is running that particular day. Did one last week that was a dream job. Already had a 2" risor and 100A meterbase and #2 copper service wires. Just had to swap out the old Bulldog Pushmatic 14 ct panel for an ITE 100A 30ct. on a concrete block wall. I did have to change one of the service conductors. They had used a bare #4 from the panel to the meterbase and from the meterbase up the risor for the neutral. I just pulled a #2THHN to match the ungrounded conductors already there. The whole deal took less than 4 hours. I'd figured 8 and passed the savings on to the customer. They really don't know what to think when the bill ends up less than the estimate.

Tom Offline
Like everyone else says, too many variables. I always estimate 8 hours & don't usually run over. Even when you only use 6 to 7 hours, your day is usually shot if you have to travel very far to do anymore work that day.

Nice of you to do a panel schedule, next time include an hour or 2 in your estimate. Inspectors in this area do not expect to see a schedule filed out except for new construction.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
Electricj,nice to see you do a panel schedule. One of my pet peeves is seeing a blank panel. You are probably in line on your time, seems to take me about 6-8 hor to change out depending on how big a mess the old panel is in. i tend to have to do them in steps because I work Midnight shift at the other job.

Link Copied to Clipboard