ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
I mainly use Lightolier or Elco recessed fluorescents for residential projects. The Lightolier will work with 26 or 32 wall triple twin CFL’s and the Elco will work with 26, 32 or 42 watt triple twin CFL’s.

Curt

Curt Swartz
N
Thanx for the promt reply Curt.
I've been using the Elco cans myself mainly because they are easy to change out to incadecent. Maybe I'll look into the 42watt triple twin CFLs. Alright in commercial locations. Convincing home owners they look good in their house is a whole different project in itself.

John

C
John

I have been using the Lightolier for many years but just started using the Elco to try and reduce the cost. Elco actually has 3 different housings (1 for each wattage). The 26 watt housing is a single wall housing and is limited to the 26 watt lamp. The 32 and 42 watt housings are identical and all 3 use the same ballast. According to my supplier all 3 are the same price so we use the 42 watt housing and install which ever lamp works best for the application.

Almost all bathrooms I do have a recessed light over the shower or tub so I will use a fluorescent with a lens and it provides much better lighting than an incandescent with lens does. One of the GC’s I work for likes to push recessed in fluorescent’s in the kitchen for energy saving and heat issues and so far all the customers have been happy with the end results.

Curt

Curt Swartz
M
For those that are already using a lot of flourescent in homes, what color temp bulbs ae you using?

I used all 3000K in a project I did, but they don't look as "white" as 3500 - 4100 but they do look softer and skin tones look a lot better. I was trying to match existing incan. and halogen. What has been your experience? What do HO's, architects, and designers like best?

H
The guys in Washington, DC are the ones forcing the states to pass these energy codes. I believe there is a deadline for all the states to comply. I think there was a recent article in EC&M about it.

E
e57 Offline OP
Direct lobbying effort of Advanced Ballast and thier parent ubber corp.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
P
pdh Offline
dmattox:

I looked at that specification. It's just a buyer's spec. It's not an engineering spec. It doesn't show the circuit schematic, or give any indication how it (supposedly) gets rid of the 60 Hz component. What is the ballast going to be doing during the zero-crossing of the incoming AC? Is it converting to DC first? I tried downloading their "Technical Data Sheet" but the SQL server it's accessing seems to have some problems at the moment (that's not good web server programming to make delivery of a file dependent on a database that isn't reliable).

I've seen "flicker free" lights before. And I can still see the flicker (while everyone around me said they could not).

I once asked on another forum how best to go about making a fluorescent light work directly on DC. I didn't get any answer to that one. But I'd think it is just a matter of achieving the start voltage and limiting the current by chopping up fast enough.

This could be done with three phase power. Just chop around the phases at the right syncronized rate and timing to use an equal amount of power at all times. Do it fast enough (42 kHz should work) and a small capacitor could sink all the harmonic currents with a negligible power factor drop.

A more complex circuit could do this with single phase power using a capacitor to get something approximating a 90 degree phase shift so there's a power source during the incoming zero crossing. But that would drop the power factor significantly (maybe down to 0.7).

Otherwise, they'd have to convert from AC to DC then chop that up to make it work without flicker.

Here is an extensive information resource on fluorescent lighting:

http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/electricity/fluorescent/index.html

D
NorthBayec,

Electronic ballast can light
I just installed several of this type of fixture http://www.kurtversen.com/Catalog/Leafs/Section_P/P626.pdf

not sure if a home owner is willing to fork out $200

another reason to raise property values

[This message has been edited by Dave33 (edited 02-07-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Dave33 (edited 02-07-2005).]

N
Thanks for the link Dave.
Its always nice to know what else is out there.
HOs love having options!

John

E
e57 Offline OP
I think I have found the recessed can made for flouresant facist goverments....

Completely Convertable.... I did a job with them about a year ago, and just now remember them. They have modules that swap out. So you take your Flour's out and put in the low effeciancy stuff everyone really wants.

Could be a bit rough on the pricing though, these things were not cheap.
http://63.76.47.174/
See the 5" and 7" platforms....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 02-08-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard