ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 386 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48091 02/03/05 11:02 PM
B
buck Offline OP
We recently got our first cargo van for our company. The road noise is so loud when driving. What do you use to insulate the noise? They sell insulation packages for the cargo area. Does anyone just insulate the cargo partition?

Buck
#48092 02/03/05 11:39 PM
E
I traded my factory steel partition for a nice conduit rack and built my own. I used plywood and contoured the partition to the back of the seat. I covered it with an auto grade carpet. Not to much noise coming through that, and it looks real good.

#48093 02/04/05 02:07 AM
T
NAPA sells tar-paper like adhesive sound deadening insulation, although this might be the most expensive route you can go considering the cost/vs size of adhesive sheets. Another option is go to home depot and get some heavy rubber mats cut to cover the floor area. sound deadening is a tricky art- there is a reason that a lexus and a mercedes are quiet, which has to do with how the car is engineered from the ground up to deaden sound and be quiet, something that is not even added into the cost equation for something as utilitarian and realtively "cheap" as a service van. There is only a certain amount of deadening that will even be possible due to the design of the vehicle. Not to discourage you, but just something to keep in mind. Sound waves transfer best through substances that are dense and uniform, and transfer worst though substances that are amorphous, which is why I sugest heavy rubber mats. Sound deadening materials used in car wheel wells etc. are tar or asphalt like for this reason- on top of being cheap they are molecularlly amorphous substances that tend to absorb and dissipate sound waves rather than transmit them. Same is true of rubber mats..

#48094 02/04/05 07:02 AM
E
e57 Offline
20 mil pipe wrap, how many rolls is up to you. [Linked Image]

And seeing that you just got it. This means it relitively empty. In a month or so when its 3' deep all the way across, it will silence itself subtantialy.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#48095 02/04/05 05:43 PM
B
buck Offline OP
Thank you for the good info, it should really help us make some decisions. This is the first time I have used this forum or any forum. I think it is great.

Buck
#48096 02/04/05 08:32 PM
A
If it is road noise you can try undercaoting. Also carpet padding under the ruber floor mat (assuming it came with a ruber floor mat).

Inside steel shelves are solid but things can rattle. If you have them you might try putting somthing on the shelves like thin wood, ruber, carpet. I like wood shelving to keep the rattling down.

Sometimes you have to figure what makes the most noise. What ever is rattling try experimenting. Sometimes it is a little loose and needs another somthing to hold it solid. Other times to parts are rubbing tugether. Try insulating with a piece of rubber (old cut hose, floormat, weatherstriping).

You did not say what type of truck you have.

Tom

#48097 02/04/05 08:44 PM
S
Buck, if as e57 said, the van is empty, don't even give it a second thought. The difference between an empty van and a full one is amazing. Of course, it still won't be like a pickup but the difference is substantial.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#48098 02/04/05 09:11 PM
B
buck Offline OP
It is a new 2005 Dodge Sprinter. The thing is, it doesn't even have a cargo partition installed yet. We were looking at insulation kits at sprinteraccessories.com, after all the advise, I think it is better to just wait until we get the partition installed and outfitted with our gear. If it is still noisy, we were advised to put plexiglass over the holes in the partition. I also like the ideas posted about rubber mats and all the other ideas.

Buck
#48099 02/04/05 09:17 PM
M
Hi,
One fo the best cargo partitions I have run across is the plexiglass one. It keeps cold air in in the summer and hot in the winter.

An empty van will make a lot of noise..just use it for a week or two I am sure it will go dissipate.

But really, you can make a plexiglass one easily. I have seen them with sliding trap door so you can get some small stuff through.

Regards

Greg

#48100 02/04/05 10:05 PM
J
A little less helpful, but you will get used to it. It's funny when I give someone a ride, like a nephew or aquaintance, the looks of disbelief I get. "Man it's loud in here. Is it always this loud? How can stand all that noise all the time?" Then I have to conciously (sp? again. no spell check on the wife's mac) listen to hear what they are talking about. I just tune it out after a while. I'll hear it again after some time off or a long weekend. One suggestion not given is to turn up the radio.

But I think the most difficult noise to try to drive through is when a big box of small parts has tipped, but is lodged from fully spilling, but every little bump you hit, a few more parts hit the floor. After about 10 minutes it was worse than nails on chaulkboard and i had to pull over.

I bought rubber mat from Americanvan for over $200. I remember after-the-fact seeing something similar at home Depot for less than half the cost. If you can try avoid buying something made especially for this purpose. Try to see what the material and technique is and find something comprable. You'll save.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard