ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48019 02/01/05 10:47 PM
P
Hi, I know this isn't really related to electricity, it's more of an industry thing. I am in Pennsylvania and I work at a hardware store, and they want to train me on fork lift. I do not have a State Driver's license. My one boss says I don't need one, just a forklift license, which he says i can get after i practice and learn, but my other boss says I do need a state drivers license to get a forklift license. Can someone help me out here. Do I need a state drivers license to get a forklift license or not? and if possible, please cite the law (section and wording). Thanks!

#48020 02/02/05 08:01 AM
D
Forklift License?

I have heard of forklift certification done by Union shops, or very large companies with insurance liabilities, but not by the State of PA.

Someone will hopefully chime in on this one. I've been using them for the last 20yrs and never heard of this in PA.

Someone pulling your leg?

Dnk...

#48021 02/02/05 04:33 PM
PEdoubleNIZZLE,
Over here in NZ, you don't even need a Drivers Licence to operate a forklift (unless you are required to drive it on a public road, of course).
Occupational Health and Safety actually run the Forklift Operator courses here.
I've got mine and I would recommend you get one too, it's a handy (and marketable) skill to have, especially if you are an Industrial Electrician. [Linked Image]
I think at the end of the day, it comes down to where you would be operating the forklift.

#48022 02/02/05 05:16 PM
R
OSHA requires training and evidence that the training has been accomplished. One way to do this is to issue a license after the training has been successfully completed. I didn't see any requirement to have a divers license to get a fork lift license.
1910.178(l)(6)
Certification. The employer shall certify that each operator has been trained and evaluated as required by this paragraph (l). The certification shall include the name of the operator, the date of the training, the date of the evaluation, and the identity of the person(s) performing the training or evaluation.
don

Don(resqcapt19)
#48023 02/02/05 11:55 PM
T
Trumpy I am curious what you learned in that forklift course. In all seriousness, is there "forklift theory" or something? I have driven them on and off as I needed to for 10+ years and I wonder what I might learn in a forklift certification that I didn't already know.

#48024 02/03/05 02:17 AM
P
Sorry, I meant forlift certification. So I can confirm that I do not need the same license to drive a car on a road in order to get a forklift license that will not be driven on a public road? Thanks!
-Josh

#48025 02/03/05 03:45 AM
E
e57 Offline
While in the military, I got a Forklift License for up to 15,000lbs articulated payloader + EBFL. A sizable piece of equipment, and un-level ground not having a full understanding of center-of-gravity, of the load and equipment, could be fairly dangerous. And a quick turn with a high load will topple most lifts, small or large. So there is some therory to it. Even with a 2000lbs lift you could easily kill someone. So I don't think having a manditory safety course is a bad idea. Not to mention hand signals, and that pedal on the left is not a clutch.(Unless its a manual transmission which is not too common anymore) Its an "Inching" pedal.

Anyway...PEdoubleNIZZLE you might want to get a drivers license too. Even if you don't believe in driving. (Some poeple dont like to drive, I try to drive as little as possible.) But it does come in handy.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 02-03-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#48026 02/03/05 05:08 PM
S
Josh (PEdoubleNIZZLE)
The information you have been given here is correct.

As a safety and health compliance officer, I can tell you that there isn't a requirement that you have a "driver's license" to operate a forklift. In fact, one of the required training elements is that the instructor explain the difference between the operation of a forklift and an automobile. Far too many people make the improper assumption that because they can drive a car they can operate a forklift.

The regulation cited by Don is the correct reference. This certification for operation of a "powered industrial truck" (otherwise known as a forklift) as been in effect since 1998.

For anyone interested in looking at "what you learn" in forklift training, here is a link to the Powered Industrial Truck regulations. Just scroll down to paragraph (l). That's a lower case "L".

Hope this helps clarify the requirements. [Linked Image]
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9828 #1910.178(l)

Edited to add link.

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 02-03-2005).]

Ooops. I wasn't paying attention. Don already put the link in his post. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 02-03-2005).]

#48027 02/05/05 08:54 PM
P
Thanks everyone. I got the situation all cleared up. My worksite is a hardware store, and I'm on the safety comittee. I work in the building materials section because I drove the sales in electrical down and got moved (because many people were doing unsafe things with the stuff we sell, I told them I would not sell to them, things such as male to male extension cords.) It's also amazing at what the boss will do to save money..... Stocking items in fromt of panels, running 3 electric heaters for display on the same circuit, you get the idea. i have clashed with him many times, and I think he was lashing out on me. However, I am certified for forklift as of today, so that's one positive note. As for the safety of the rest of the place, I have a long way to go.
thanks,
Josh

Link Copied to Clipboard